reserved avatars

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

reserved avatars

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:41 pm

i emailed someone over a week ago with a picture of the one i'd like and my user name. no one ever emailed me back and i checked the gallery and it's not there. i understand that people are busy fixing problems on BUS but i'd just like an answer as to how long this might take? or if i should try sending the avatar to someone else to take care of? i never got a reply so i don't know if anyone even read my message.
not on BUS so much anymore- i do check PMs :)

Boogie Man
one of us
one of us

Post by Boogie Man » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:50 pm

did you try sending the pic to twitter mouse? she's been online lately. :star:

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:19 pm

thanks, i just emailed her :)

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:06 am

i relaize you're frustrated (and to be honest, i'd be impatient, too), and i'm glad you were able to say something. please remember,t hough, that the people who do this are volunteers. they took on the job because they wanted to help out, and they actually do a fair amount of work for people -- they have to do some sotr of image processing on most of the pictures people submit. there may be times when real life interferes with what they ccan do for bus.

i worry that a post like this may end up feeling like a public chastisement; i wonder if there's a better way to let people know when you're curious about where your avatar is?
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:50 am

i don't find my post offensive in any way. i acknowledged that i knew people were busy. i asked if i should do something else instead because i didn't think my e-mail even reached the person it was meant to reach. i really wasn't impatient, it's just an avatar- i just wanted to find another way to ask someone about it because i never got a reply from my e-mail so i had no idea if anyone got it or anything.

i know that they are volunteers, and that's great, i admire them. but my message wasn't offensive and wasn't attacking anyone.

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:21 am

<sigh>

i did not say you were attacking anyone. at all. in fact, i said i could relate to why you asked. my comments was more about the people who do the avatars.

i don't want the volunteers who do avatars to feel bad if they get behind, and at the same time i want people to be able to ask what's up with their av. i guess i'm just thinking that it might be a good idea to ask that people contact a mod or admin if they don't get an answer from an av person.

i shuld have taken more care to be clear that i'm talking because of my own feelings about getting behind and wanting to avoid overwhelming the av people and not about your post at all. your post was fine; i just worry that if everyone posts here with "where's my avatar?" the av wranglers may end up feeling like crap.

i think the best thing to do is to help them come up with a way for people to be notified and to ask if they don't hear anything.

i didn't intend to upset you.

deb
pllace

What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:24 am

understood.

i don't know if there's any specific people who deal with avatars, but i emailed avatars@busmail or something.. maybe it'd be more beneficial to post the usernames of people who actually deal with them so we could PM them or something. i'm a little confused as to who actually reads the emails about avatars and what not.. it would just have been nice to be given a heads up like "we're busy but i'll reply back to you soon" or something so i know that someone heard me and not waiting on something that might not even be an active account or something.

i hope i'm making some kind of sense. i was just looking for a sign to say that someone had heard me- i can be patient for the avatar.

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:51 am

we recently consolidated all the stickies about board stuff into one big post with links to the various faqs and staff lists, so all of that stuff is here:

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=103162

there's a link there to the avatar faq: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=95750

maybe we should add a link to the bit that explains to you how to reserve an avatar. thanks for letting me know it was kinda hidden.
pllace

Priceless
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus
Location: Theres something rotten in the state of Denmark, and its not me!

Post by Priceless » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:28 am

Hi
I didnt find you post offensive or and attack.
But i really have a lot of stress right now in my personal life, and i also had some internet problem, that i also have to fix.
If we dont get the email, you will proberly get an email from somewhere that says that the email havent been delivered.
I cant do any avatars right now, as gmail are having issues.
I wanted to say, that i dont like going in here, and have to read a post like this, because that makes me feel way behind, and i feel even more stressed, and i feel that im not good enough to do the avatar stuff.
~pl

<center>
|| my place *read 1 post please* || my livejournal || || my deviant-art ||
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
-- Frank Outlaw

Proud member of OATS - Oldies against text speak

</center>

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:25 pm

i never once said "give me my fucking avatar."
i feel like i explained myself properly- i'm not stamping my foot and demanding it.

all i'm asking for is that someone give me a heads up that they received my email- even if they say "hey, got your email, am really busy, will get around to it soon" or something.

i realize you're a person too and have a personal life. i don't assume you're on bus 24/7 and have nothing better to do than meet all of our demands as soon as we ask for something. all i'm asking is for a heads up to know that i actually emailed the right person and didn't type the address wrong or something. is that so much to ask for?

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:14 pm

no one was saying you did anything wrong -- she said that she didn't find your post offensive or attacking. she was talking about her own feelings when she reads posts like this, that's all.

would it help if they turned on the auto-reply (vacation responding) on the gmail account? that would send an automtic "got it" reply to any incoming email. it's in the settings part of gmail. that way, you would get an acknowledgement that the mail had arrived and wouldn't be feeling as though you were drifting without any information.

deb
pllace

lotus
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by lotus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:16 pm

thanks for writing this, b3autifu2l37, cause i actually had the same thing happen and wanted to know who to ask about it. so thanks. :blush: and thanks deb for pointing us to the faq. :blush:
"The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness."
-Screenplay of Bull Durham, by Ron Shelton

"Pleasure for the beautiful body, but pain for the beautiful soul."
-Oscar Wilde

Priceless
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus
Location: Theres something rotten in the state of Denmark, and its not me!

Post by Priceless » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:51 pm

b3autifu2l37: I can see that we havent recieved youre avatar, ive searched the mail for youre username, and it comes up with nothing, so thats why we havent been able to set it up.
If you send it too bus.avatars@gmail.com and you will recieve notice when its up in the gallery.
I also have set up auto respond so you should get an email that we have recived youre email (that is if it works)
And please read my previous post carefully again, as after hi i did say that i didnt find youre post offensive or attacking, i was trying to comunicate my feelings.

Lotus: ive recieved youre avatar 1½ hour ago.

I take them in that order we recieve them, as i think that is most fair.

~youre friendly avatar wrangler priceless

<center>
|| my place *read 1 post please* || my livejournal || || my deviant-art ||
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
-- Frank Outlaw

Proud member of OATS - Oldies against text speak

</center>

b3autifu2l37
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by b3autifu2l37 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm

auto reply would be great.

twittermouse already solved my problem and put my avatar in the gallery, but thanks for asking. i really do appreciate it.

lotus
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by lotus » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:55 am

thanks priceless. that was my second time sending it so i'm glad it got through this time. i look forward to getting it. thanks so much! :blush:
"The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness."
-Screenplay of Bull Durham, by Ron Shelton

"Pleasure for the beautiful body, but pain for the beautiful soul."
-Oscar Wilde