Intrusive thoughts---Before SI

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

quiet1
one of us
one of us

Intrusive thoughts---Before SI

Post by quiet1 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

i would be able to stop the thougts.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

it will take time away from being able to do something else. it will bring peace of mind. it will bring questions from my boyfriend and therapist and psychiatrist. it will help me.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

hurting myself is not a feeling right now. it is just a thought. i don't feel anything about it except that i know it is wrong and that i shouldn't. the thoughts will not go away though.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

the relief will last a while, possibly even weeks. when it comes up again, I will have to figure it out.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

i could do a list of many different things, but my mind will keep telling me to SI. the situation will not change, but hopefully my miind will. this could last a few weeks.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

i will feel guilty. i will feel like a failure. i will want to SI more. i won't want to tell my boyfriend.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

i really want to SI right now. i just want to SI.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

i feel like i need to hurt myself becasue i keep having disturbing intrusive thoughts about SI and the only way it will go away is to act them out. nothing else will help.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

i have been here before. sometimes i have acted it out and the thoughts went away. sometimes i don't act them out and the thoughts stay with me for a few weeks or get re-triggered by some visual stimulus.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

i have posted in a SI message board. i have told my therapist about my thoughts. i have spent all day outside and keeping busy. i am not sure what else to do.
  • How do I feel right now?

right now i feel like SI.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?

i will feel paranoid that someone will find out. i will feel satisfied that i have filled the compulsion.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?

i will feel ashamed and needy. i will feel like more SI.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?

there is no way to avoid this.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

i hate saying it, but yes i do.

LBC
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by LBC » Wed May 16, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Quiet1

I can relate to intrusive thoughts - they're part of my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when it's not well-controlled. I take meds to do that.

I'm not suggesting that you necessarily have OCD or need to take meds. But intrusive thoughts that just won't go away and that are impacting your life in negative ways are something that you should probably see a doctor about - there are ways that they can help with that sort of thing.

I see that you have a therapist and a pdoc - have you talked about how much these intrusive thoughts are affecting your life and behaviour?

I know that these sorts of persistent, intrusive thoughts are very distressing. Take gentle care.

:1paw:
If you believe everyone is the future
If you believe that nothing ever goes wrong
If you believe that deep down inside you're really falling apart
Know that everybody's weak and everyone can be strong. - Sloan

You always have a choice.

quiet1
one of us
one of us

Post by quiet1 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 am

thank you so much for replying. i have been talking to my therapist and pdoc about the intrusive thoughts. I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, but i am still being evaluated. its one of the things that i have struggled with the most and my therapist sent me to a new pdoc to give me a thorough eval to see if i really have OCD or not.

my therapist says that i have many OCD tendencies, but she's not sure about if i have enough for a full diagnosis. sorry to ramble on about this, but it is nice to know that someone else has similar problems.

what do you do when you are having intrusive thoughts to SI? can you manage to not SI?

LBC
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by LBC » Thu May 17, 2007 2:58 pm

I will PM you about this.
If you believe everyone is the future
If you believe that nothing ever goes wrong
If you believe that deep down inside you're really falling apart
Know that everybody's weak and everyone can be strong. - Sloan

You always have a choice.

quiet1
one of us
one of us

Post by quiet1 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:51 pm

it would be great if you could PM me about it. Thank you LBC.