Let me introduce myself...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

~*Yas*~

Let me introduce myself...

Post by ~*Yas*~ » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:59 pm

This is the first time I've entered a site like this and I dont really know what to write, so I guess I'll just tell you all something about why I'm here in the first place.
I have been suffering from depression since a few years, on and off, but I have always managed to cope and never really realised I was in a depression. Until March 2005, when I really hit rock-bottom and attempted to end my life. This is when it hit me and when I decided I needed to do something about the way I was feeling. So I started doing therapy, first only once a week for an hour with a psychologist, but I soon realised that that wasn't enough for me. The thing is I am completely by myself here in Belgium, my family lives abroad so I dont get to see them a lot. Plus I have the feeling they dont really understand what I'm going through. They try to be supportive but it doesn't really seem to help me. Since August now i have been doing group therapy, four days a week, 7 hours a day, so it's really very intense. It started going better and better and I was really feeling stronger again, but about 2 months ago it completely turned again. I had a brief relationship with someone that was so intense and beautiful, but then he decided he didnt have the courage to finish his 4-year relationship to be with me, and since then I've gone right back to where I was before. I don't know how to deal with rejection, I have very low self-esteem and things like that only make it worse. People tell me I should stay away from situations like that until I feel confident enough about myself, but on the other side, since I am all by myself I really need affection from others and I need to know that there are people who do care about me.
I have all these feelings inside of me and sometimes I feel like I'm suffocating, I dont know how to expres my feelings because I dont even exactly know what it is that I'm feeling. Is it anger, pain, disappointment....I don't know, it's just too much.
I started cutting myself 3 weeks ago, i don't know how I got to that point, I just know that at that moment it felt like such a relief, like I could take the pressure off for a while. It happened 3 times in total since then, I was really shocked the first time it happened, but now I don't feel so bad about doing it anymore. In a way yes, because I know it's bad to hurt myself, but on the other side I really don't care anymore. I am still in therapy and I have told them what happened, but I dont seem to get the help I need there. All they say is that I have to talk about my problems and things that bother me, but somehow for me talking alone is just not enough. I've been talking for 7 months now and look where it got me...And I dont get any feedback from them that is useful, in my eyes...
I just don't want this SI to become a habit, cause the way I feel about it now is dangerous, as soon as you dont care anymore about doing it that's when it starts to become a habit. I've only done it 3 times, and the little sense I have left inside me knows that that's already 3 times too many. But my feelings and my common sense are not really working together at the moment...
I need to find some other way to expres my feelings instead of turning them on myself, anybody have any suggestions?

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:24 pm

heyos and welcome to bus! have a welcome :moo:

and you are right - you don't want si to become a habit - it is a very tough habit to break. but you also should remember that in the end si is a *choice*. you have the choice of whether or not you want to si or seek some other kind of relief from your emotional pain.

some ideas...

could you perhaps start a journal of some type? like a paper journal? that may help you identify thoughts/feelings that you're not familiar with.
write down your feelings and then tear them up?
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

falling...
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by falling... » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:47 pm

hey have you thought about posting on main (the forum marked bodiesunder seige) more people will read it there and you will get more replys. anyway welcome to BUS :moo: (tradition!)
Last edited by falling... on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

~*Yas*~

Post by ~*Yas*~ » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanx for the tip!! :D

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Hello and welcome to bus. There are many ways to express yourself but you need to find what suits you best, perhaps painting/writing? Anything that you would enjoy doing. There are also many ways to cope when you get the urge to self harm, if you have a look here at the coping strategies you might find something that works for you. Although i have to say working on your feelings and thoughts is the best step you can take to stop such behaviours.

Stay safe.

Alex

Omnia vincit amor
Member of the Welcome wagon
Shh be quiet, You might piss somebody off
Proud member and loyal spoon of OATS - Oldies Against Text Speak
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Skipping and a jumping, In the misty morning fog with, Our hearts a thumpin' and you, My brown eyed girl