*si* Cutting, bruising, picking...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

I_Love_Joe_R
one of us
one of us

*si* Cutting, bruising, picking...

Post by I_Love_Joe_R » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:53 am

*si*
I cut, I pick scabs, I bruise myself, I punch walls just to see blood. And I don't know what to do. I think its getting out of control. I do it everyday. And my boyfriend told me not to cut, so I do everything but cut, but I do it twice as worse. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about telling my youth pastor tomorrow. But I'm afraid to tell my parents. They'll think I'm doing it for attention. I'm confused. Please help.

cariad
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by cariad » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:15 pm

viewtopic.php?t=14861

^^^ tres helpful :)

hiya
im sorry your going through such a tough time atm and sorry i dont really have much advice
but if you dont feel ready to talk to your parents than maye your pastor is a good idea

may i ask how old your are?
cause if your under 16 there may e some confidentiallity issues, ie if your pastor thinks your a danger to yourself he may have to tell your parents fro you

i really hope it works out for you
pm me if you want to tlak more
thinking of you xxxx
:purpstar:

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:07 pm

Hi I_Love_Joe_R. Welcome to BUS.

One of the things that can really help in trying to deal with self-injury is to try to understand why YOU do it. There are lots of different reasons that people self injure, and knowing what it does for you is a brilliant first step to finding other ways to get your needs met that don't involve hurting yourself.

The link that almost winged one posted is great for ideas on what to do when the urge to SI hits, to give you other ways to cope with your feelings, or distract yourself from your wanting to hurt yourself.

There are two sets of questions at the top of this coping board, This one on listening to urges, and this one called Kharre's questions, that are good for looking at why you want to hurt yourself in any instant, and examining if there are different things that can be done.

Getting in-person support is a really good thing for trying to deal with this sort of stuff. If you trust your youth pastor, he is a great person to start talking to. Telling your parents could help you to get help too. Their support, especially if you live with them, could be invaluable. Even moreso if you wanted to start therapy, or some kind of counselling to help deal with things. You may be hesitant to tell them because you think you know what they'll think or assume, but there are many people who find unexpected responses when telling people about their SI. It can be good or bad, but is often worth trying. Ideas on how to tell people, and how to explain self injury to others can be found around the board, or if you wanted to ask advice or for others to share their stories, I'm sure you would get many many responses.

There is hope in dealing with this. Realising that it is getting out of your control is a good first step. Hopefully this board will be able to help you and support you.