how do u cope with rejection and abandonment fears????

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

collide
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

how do u cope with rejection and abandonment fears????

Post by collide » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:36 pm

i just want some advice and support from ppl...my situation is i've been living with this Borderline Personality Disorder since i was diagnosed with it at 22...and one of my main symptoms is fear of abandonment and rejection...which usually makes me SI, try to SU........right now i feel like some classmates of mine are rejecting me...and also, my bf who stayed with me 2 weeks left to stay at his family's for awhile...and now i feel depressed and wanting to SI...

so i just need some support and advice, and also, want to know how ppl cope with these such INTENSE FEELINGS, because for me they are so INTENSE

viewtopic.php?t=89417 (my POETRY)
viewtopic.php?t=88288&start=420 (my PLACE)

COLLIDE

"life is but a box of chocolates, u never know what you will get"

"i'm not crazy i'm just a little unwell- MATCHBOX 20"

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:32 am

Hi Collide.

Lately I've been trying to do something every day to deal with instense feelings so that they don't build up over time and become overwhelming. I've found that letting myself cry as much as I would like is helpful.

Sorry I don't have more advice. I struggle with a lot of that myself.

:heart:

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:29 pm

I also was diagnosed with BPD and battle with feelings of rejection. The first thing I do is try to remind myself of the reality of the situation - ie be aware that I am feeling rejected and am fearing abandonment. Then I usually have to look at the past issues with the person I think is abandoning me - if its my fiance for example then I remind myself that he hasn't left or even threatened to in 2 years. You also need to figure out why you feel like someone is abandoning you and what you really want - do you want someone to talk to, do you want to yell at someone, are you angry or tired - ie what are you feeling. Finally you can also get a pet or even a teddy bear and just hug it and remind yourself that it won't leave you and the person you think is going to probably won't either. Then do something nice for yourself.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

collide
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by collide » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:23 pm

thanks for the advice TAMRICK....

u sound like a therapist...i don't know how i can rememeber doing all what you said but it does really make sense...i guess i can print it out and hang it on my wall somewhere...the hard part is believing myself that i am wrong...that i am seeing or percieving the situation as something else....it's so hard that i usually act out before i even consider other options...then if i manage to hang in there...i still worry that i am wrong...and that that translates i am a horrible person because i trusted.....

viewtopic.php?t=89417 (my POETRY)
viewtopic.php?t=88288&start=420 (my PLACE)

collide

"life is but a box of chocolates, u never know what you will get"

"i'm not crazy i'm just a little unwell- MATCHBOX 20"

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Oh dear - I think I spent too much time in therapy then :)

It is hard to remind yourself that. I told my fiance last night that I was feeling rejected and it was very hard to justify it - I told him I knew he wasn't rejecting me rationally, but that didn't stop how I felt. This is the one thing I have struggled with the most - its like my emotions just will not agree with my rational side. Still with a bit of practice it can get better. Good luck.
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker