healing of wounds

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

fieldmouse
one of us
one of us

healing of wounds

Post by fieldmouse » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:31 am

Howdy.

I was wanting to know what people think about letting wounds get wet and if it affects the healing process at all. When I have wounds I try to keep them dry, but sometimes that just isn't a practical option. I do so because when they get wet it seems to be a step backward in terms of healing. what do you think?

PS: sorry if this is covered elsewhere, i've only found passing reference to it on this site. if i'm missing it, a link would be appreciated. cheers.

*ballerina_barbie*
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by *ballerina_barbie* » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:41 am

i dont know for sure but for me it seems the opposite. When my wounds get wet it seems to kind of close them up and make them less noticeable...but i dont know for sure.
Alone...alone on earth, alone in my room, alone surrounded by people

Pushing Through

Ne vous inquiétez pas, la lumière à la fin du tunnel est seulement un train de marchandises

44_false_starts
settling in
settling in

Post by 44_false_starts » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:12 am

Wait for it to dry out a bit, and start to heal... once the skin has fully healed over, moisturise with Vitamin E oil or cream if you want it to heal
you ask me if the ringing in your ears could be the sound of thought...

Wednesdays
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Wednesdays » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:12 pm

I don't know whether wet or dry makes a difference but I would really like to know how you can make healing happen faster. It seems like mine are taking much longer to heal now than they used to.. months even. It's annoying.

fieldmouse
one of us
one of us

Post by fieldmouse » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:34 pm

one conveniently doesn't concern themselves with the prospect of weeks of discomfort when doing the deed to they? :(

For this reason I've made myself a pact to change my behaviour. To remember how i am now (the day after), that it doesn't work. I think i actually feel worse.

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:41 pm

Fieldmouse, Welcome to BUS. I hope you find the support you need here.

I've been told by doctors to keep things clean and dry, although personally I've found that difficult to manage at times. Each person does heal slightly differently, and if you have found that letting healing wounds get wet slows the healing process, then trying to keep things dry would be best. This first aid page on Secret Shame doesn't specify keeping things dry, but going with what you know from your experience isn't a bad guideline.

If you're really wanting to work on stopping your self injury, this coping board, and the Before and After board are two really good places to look at. Kharre's questions, and these questions on listening to your urges are good places to start to work through urges. Similary, the B&A board has questions to ask yourself and answer "before" SI in an effort to work through the feelings and not SI. You'd need to request posting permission for the B&A board (click on usergroups at the top of the screen), but is great for working through urges. And there are heaps of ideas about other coping mechanisms and distractions to help get you through the urges to SI that you might come across. Explore the board, and if you want any more ideas, or support, or discussion, just post away :)

This is a great topic Fieldmouse. Some of this stuff may be covered elsewhere, but its a great reminder, and good to get people thinking.

Wednesdays, things taking longer to heal is annoying. Generally if you're injuring a lot, that will take a toll on your immune system, and so gradually things will take longer to heal, as your body hasn't had a chance to recover. Being in good health generally will help your ability to heal more than anything you can add when you are healing. Good diet, adequate sleep, and lack of illnesses like colds and flu will make things much easier on your body. There might be some vitamins that are of particular use, which perhaps people that know a bit more about that can add onto this thread.

fieldmouse
one of us
one of us

Post by fieldmouse » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:05 am

cheers mallie.

I suppose I'm weighing up between getting wounds wet (which destroys the scab and leaves the wound open; possibly a greater chance of infection also?) and having a shower and being nice and clean.

Sometimes I feel like leaving the wounds at least a few days after the event is good, it gets them started on the right track.

I'm not so concerned with scarring or not, just want things to heal and be over with. :)

fieldmouse
one of us
one of us

Post by fieldmouse » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:06 am

and by the way, i'm not really sure myself if they do actually heal quicker when kept dry always (i'm not an experienced SIer), which i why I'm here for the questions. i have no empirical evidence to support my contention :)

Wednesdays
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Wednesdays » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:35 pm

Thanks Mallie. I was hoping it wasn't old age ;) I could probably eat better than I do...

lauryn
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by lauryn » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:06 pm

anyone try silicone scar patches or neosporin or AHAs
i love babies