flashes/ mental images **SI, SU*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

whatever
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

flashes/ mental images **SI, SU*

Post by whatever » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:50 pm

so...yesterday i was having a bad day, and i kept having (brief) mental images of...uh...SIing. but not in the way i usually do. like, much deeper, and in a different place and basically a lot more drastic than anything i've ever done before.

usually when i have the urge to SI it's really clearly separate from any suicidal intent. i mean, i might *feel* somewhat suicidal, but SI is a way to feel better, to get through the moment, to be okay and to *not* entertain suicidal badness.

but mental images seem to be different, because i'm not really sure what they 'mean', and i can't you know, *argue* with them the way i can a nasty little voice telling me i suck. and i've been trying to "let it go" but i'm not sure that's right, either. i don't think i actually want to be okay with this; it feels too close to not caring at all.

and basically, it's making me really scared to pick up a blade at all because i'm so scared i'll go too far/ do something i'd really regret. which isn't necessarily a bad thing. but yes, scariness. and i don't know what to do.

does anyone have any advice or suggestions for what to do with unwanted mental images??

Tainted
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Tainted » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:32 am

****TRIGGS****
I understand this fully...today while in La Senza....I invisioned me stabbing the clerk in the eyes with the hanger....it was graffic....

I have not SI'd in a long time....so I think quite possibly it is my missing of an old vice that makes me think these things. As for stopping them...I just giggled...and it went away. Because I knew I would not do it. I also find with me when I am getting images...like SU ones...and SI ones that I just let them do thier thing. For me if I let them run thier coarse.....they will go away. But everyone is different. We all cope in different ways. I find the images non-triggery....but You may not..we are all different.

I dont know if anything i said makes sense....i am very tired and quite not here. I will prolly read this in the morning and laugh at myself for being an idiot....that happens alot.
<center>Image</center>
<center> :redstar:..Your words are deadly weapons, killing me, destroying me.. :redstar: <center><center> :redstar: I drown in him, but I cease to die, for he breaths life into me every second of the day :redstar: <center><center> :redstar: ..I will stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.. :redstar: </center>

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Post by treasure » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:51 am

i often have mental images of si and su when i'm particularly upset. i usually try to do a 'before' questionnaire, cos i'm also scared of doing more harm than i want to. i've sometimes just gone outside, (away from tools) or write down a detailed story as if i was going to do what i imagined, or promised to myself i would only si a certain amount or for a certain time (writing it down its easier to stick to)...
being scared is also good because it might help you si less? i don't think any of my mental images have been full realised, so don't worry too much.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

whatever
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by whatever » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:16 pm

thank-you both for your replies. :)

am still thinking.
but it does help to know that others have experienced and gotten through similar.

erinmv
honored elder
honored elder

Post by erinmv » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 am

I recently went through the same thing. It was about 5 months ago. I kept having really graphic images of cutting but it was more like suicide. A LOT of blood which is not normal for my SI. I was really freaked out because I never experienced anything like that before. And I thought it was especially strange because I wasn't particularly upset. Anyway, there was no easy way to deal with it. I also had to fight from SIing. I wanted to but I was scared shitless. Somehow I was able to get past it and the graphic images went away. But it took a few weeks. Sorry, I know that wasn't very helpful but I just wanted you to know that I've been there. Hope you're doing okay.
Your suffering will free you
***OTEP***

PoorSlain Doll
settling in
settling in

Post by PoorSlain Doll » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:28 pm

i think that may be partly my problem too but like treasure writing detaled descriptions help. i dont SI anymore but i want to so much. i guess i just try to think of all the reasons why i shouldnt. writing a list of the reasons "why not" can be helpfull sometimes. distracting your imagination works foor me sometimes too. listening to up beat music. remebering happy times watching a film. anything to try and get the images out. i dont know if this is any help at all... sarah x

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:21 am

I have graphic images of SI in my head sometimes I see myself going real deep and I get in a panic because I get scared like it auctually happened. I don't know it is really scary and its hard to keep them out of your head.

I try to pick something in the room or maybe something I liek and hold the image as long as I can.
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!

whatever
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by whatever » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:33 am

thanks for the suggestions/support, VowsOfSadness
erinmv andPoorSlain Doll.

now i just have to remember to ...actually try them next time. :)

and yes, loud music is *good*.
(although makes it hard to concentrate on anything else either, heh).

PoorSlain Doll
settling in
settling in

Post by PoorSlain Doll » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:15 pm

no problem :) just take care of yourself. sarah x