New to the board. Doctors are dumb. SI SU and stuff

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

heartonmysleave
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

New to the board. Doctors are dumb. SI SU and stuff

Post by heartonmysleave » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:52 pm

Has anyone else had a bad reaction to medication?

I was given anti-depressants by my doctor because my mood had started swirling down. my mood and my SI started to get far, far worse. so they gave me more meds. It got to the point that I tried to kill myself by overdosing on the meds, I survived. but the next day my mood plummeted even further so I attempted to slit my wrist. my SI had gotten compleatly out of control.

I then discovered that the meds I had been put on in 8 out of 10 people increase they're level of self injury. and the second I got put on new medication my SI has reduced allot and my mood has improved incredibly.

has anyone else had an experience like this?

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:47 pm

I've had an experience not quite the same, but a bit similiar. I was put on an anti-depressant b/c the doctor figured from what I was saying that I was depressed when what I had told him is I was feeling emotionally numb. Then with the medication I was put on I ended up feeling so numb that I was feeling a bomb could go off two feet from me and I'd just kind of look at it like and carry on without any real notice of it at all. I was switched afterward to something else and it worked a lot better and was definitely more with myself.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:30 am

I've been on several different kinds of medications. I got physical side effects such as nausea from most of them.

On one particular one called Aurorix, I found myself more depressed than I was before and very suicidal. It depends on the different chemicals and reactions in your brain that sometimes mean a medication can have bad effects, even opposite of what they're meant to do.

However, what I've gathered from looking at a statistics, especially of Prozac, that it is possible that you're having an unconscious psychological reaction to the meds, ie you are frustrated that its not working so you are feeling more depressed.

Tell your doctor your concerns. There are MANY different medications and it's definately possible that a different one will work properly for you.

:star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins