Before *death*

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Something Else
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Before *death*

Post by Something Else » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:46 am

• Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I found out yesterday that a former student, Orville, died on Saturday. I hadn't even known he was sick. The last time I saw him was about 13 months ago, and he was healthy and active. Apparently it wasn't long after that when he was diagnosed with cancer.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    I've known people who died before, but not this young. And I don't know that I did a great job coping then, either.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    I've posted on BUS. I've cried. I've talked about my memories of Orville. I've distracted myself with TV and computer games and jigsaw puzzles.
    I could distract myself more, or sleep, but eventually I'm going to have to deal with it. I don't know if I can, though. It seems like the feelings are too intense to ever deal with successfully. And no matter what I do, it won't bring Orville back. I'm trying to process this a little at a time, and back off when it gets to be too much, but I'm not sure how well that's working.
  • How do I feel right now?
    Sad. Overwhelmed. Angry. Frustrated. Tired.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    Forcused. Sad. Alive. Real.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    Immediately afterwards, I'll probably feel more tired, maybe I'd go to bed. Tomorrow, nothing will have changed. I might feel less need to SI if I'd already done it, but that's all.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    I suppose if I didn't get to know anyone, I'd never have to deal with them dying, but that hardly sounds realistic.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
    Yes. No. Maybe. Not *need* exactly, but... I don't know.
  • How will this situation or feeling change if I hurt myself?
    I'll temporarily feel more focused, more in control. It won't really change much, though.
  • What will hurting myself bring to the situation? What will it take away from the situation?
    It'll bring a temporary feeling of relief. It will take away the opportunity to cope with this without SI, having to rely on other means, and thus stretch my ability to cope otherwise. I don't think what I just typed actually makes sense, but I know what I mean.
  • How do I want to feel about this in the long run? Is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I don't know how I want to feel about this. Is there a right way to feel about a 12 year old dying of cancer? I don't want to feel as sad and angry as I do now for the rest of my life. I don't want to forget. I don't want to be okay with it. Really, it doesn't seem like any eventual feeling will be right. And if there is no perfect possible future, how can anything I do lead me to or away from its approximation?
  • What is something I could do now instead of hurting myself? How will it change the situation I'm in? How long will that change last, and what will I do then?
    I don't know. I don't have the energy to face this right now, like I figure I'll eventually need to do. Right now, I'm not sure what I could do more than distracting myself, until I can get some sleep. That won't change things any more than SI-ing. Really, SI-ing might involve more processing and change to the situation that just distracting myself.
  • How will I feel tomorrow if I hurt myself? How will I feel tomorrow if I do the other thing I came up with?
    Either way, I'll feel like shit. If I hurt myself now, I probably won't feel inclined to hurt myself again tomorrow, or at least not greatly so. If I don't, I'll go through this again tomorrow.
  • What do I really want to do right now? How can I best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    I think I really want to sleep right now. But I don't know about tomorrow.

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:46 pm

I'm really sorry about your former student. It's a terrible thing when someone dies young.
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank