Whats up with chat

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

krib
one of us
one of us

Whats up with chat

Post by krib » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 am

:-) :) :-)
Hey all its me krib, i just got one question why is chat down.
another thing it might not be relevant, why does it say domain down.

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 am

Hi.
Being honest... I have no idea. I don't have anything to do with chat, so I am ignorant about how the whole thing works. But I will take your question over to the staff board, cause I know that we at least used to have people that were on staff for both, so maybe they know.

krib
one of us
one of us

Post by krib » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:10 am

Thank you very much

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

The address is http://buschat.info - the domain page pops up because the chat was moved (because of technical stuff I don't really understand) If you go to that link, it should work or you can use any java applet/webclient (I use www.ircatwork.com from school for example, I know www.shadowfire.org has one too)

If you want to use an IRC client (a separate program to access the IRC networks), I recommend mIRC (www.mirc.com) but that's mostly because I've used it for 10+ years and I love it. There's a bunch of others, xchat is one (google it)

When you've set up an irc client, you need to log on to Shadowfire (which is the network #bus is on). Choose Shadowfire from the drop down menu or type /server irc.shadowfire.org

Once you're on the server, type /join #bus si (where #bus is the channel name and "si" is the password, or the key)

If you have any problems, please let me know and I will try to help!

Mia

krib
one of us
one of us

Post by krib » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks all of you for the help you have given me

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Mia I tried to get on last night and it said the network was unreachable. Know what was going on with that? I use XChat Aqua on Leopard.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Electric Prophet wrote:Mia I tried to get on last night and it said the network was unreachable. Know what was going on with that? I use XChat Aqua on Leopard.
No clue, but just try again. Sometimes the network (Shadowfire) has problems or needs to be rebooted. It almost never lasts long, so just try again in a few minutes. Or try another way of connecting (buschat.info or www.mibbit.com or www.shadowfire.org or www.ircatwork.com or a chat client) It might not help but it's worth a shot. Sometimes one of the sites/client is causing the problem.

If you're having problems, you can either pm me here, on #bus or e-mail me on [e-mail address removed] I don't know a lot about technical stuff, but I can almost always find out.

Mia
Last edited by swirlish on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinky
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by pinky » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 pm

thank you Mia, i went to chat for the first time today using mibbit and had lots of fun chatting :D
welcome wagon member - member of OATS - oldies against text speak
you will always be remembered and missed
:pinkheart: 7.12.08 Carmen :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 1.16.11 Kalika :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 11.3.11 Yorkie :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 4.20.12 Dewkey :pinkheart:
the time to tell someone you care is now
:bcatsmile: SHACA :bcatsmile:

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:48 am

I'm so glad to see you all on there :D

Mia

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 pm

ok... I can get on with mibbit. It says #bus(1) in my one tab...so I think I am on. How do I chat with other people. There doesn't seem to be a list of who is online or anything... idk, maybe I have just been on at wierd times when no-one else has been. should other people's usernames show up anywhere on my screen ?

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 pm

The problem with mibbit is that there's nowhere to type the password to a channel when you're joining (at least I haven't found it, but admittedly I haven't looked all that thoroughly). You need a password to join #bus. So when you click "go" after typing #bus as your channel, mibbit will log you on to Shadowfire (the server, you'll see a bunch of text coming up) and then try to log on to #bus but fail because it requires a password. It will say something like "#bus: Couldn't join channel" or similiar. Just type /join #bus si in the bar just under the text and hit enter. Now you should be in the channel and see a list of nicks. There are always people in there, although everyone is not active.

Another thing, make sure you read the rules for the channel. They can be found at http://buschat.info Most of them are similiar to those on the boards, but some are different. The channel is run by different people than the board staff (obviously, some overlap, like me and emark for example). The moderators on #bus are called "Super Operators" (which is quite a ridiculous term) or SOPs. They have an & before their names in the nicklist.

Using http://buschat.info to log on to chat might be easier and faster. I'll check tomorrow. My computer is so slow that loading the needed Java applet takes forever, that's why I prefer mibbit.

I did a step by step walkthrough for mibbit, if anyone is having problems. And just let me know if you have questions.

Mia

myfriendscallmeerika
growing roots
growing roots

Post by myfriendscallmeerika » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:57 am

just fyi for any staff who might be interested, i went to bus chat a few weeks back...and felt really ganged up on. some of the chatters were rude and even made fun of me (and it was not in good fun, i promise).

ive always enjoyed buschat but my last experience there upset me. definately not an enviroment full of support and understanding.

so anywho, not trying to start crap :oops: just thought the mods might wanna know.

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 am

Mia will have to pass that on...

The board staff and the chat staff are almost entirely seperate, except a couple people who do both. So while they certainly need to know if people are behaving inappropriately, it isn't something the staff here have any direct control over... only chat staff could help with that.

But I am sorry you had a bad experience there. It really stinks to be looking for help and get the opposite.
:star:

myfriendscallmeerika
growing roots
growing roots

Post by myfriendscallmeerika » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 am

yea i noticed the board and the chat were pretty seperate but it looked like perhaps mia does both?

yea it did stink, but im over it. :)

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 am

myfriendscallmeerika wrote:yea i noticed the board and the chat were pretty seperate but it looked like perhaps mia does both?

yea it did stink, but im over it. :)
Pm me and we can talk about it? If you have logs or remember when it was, that's even better so I can go back and look.

Anywa, pm me!

Mia

PassingCloud
post laureate
post laureate

Post by PassingCloud » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:35 pm

db2, we can discuss your ban in pm. either way it is not appropriate for the board, because the board has almost nothign to do with the chat.

take care.
-cloudya
[I'm talking about my life.][I can't seem to get that through to you.]
[I'm not just talking about one person,][I'm talking about everybody.]
[I'm talking about form, I'm talking about content.][I'm talking about inter-relationships.]
[I'm talking about God, the Devil, Hell, Heaven!]
[Do you understand?]
[Finally?]
(one flew over the cuckoo's nest)

:redstar:
My Place