after

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

morning-glory
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

after

Post by morning-glory » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Did I identify what feelings were leading me to want to SI?

Yes I did.

If Yes - What were they, and how did I figure them out?

I was feeling highly overwhelmed at the time, worried and disappointed in myself. I figured out that I was frustrated, disappointed, worried and overwhelmed by taking the time to journal and pray about how I was feeling. I also talked to my mom and answered the before questions here to help me figure things out.

What coping skills did I use to deal with these feelings?

I nurtured myself by sleeping, asking for support in the Nest, eating well and praying. I distracted myself by taking care of my fish, watching and movie. And finally I tried to come up with ways to positively address how I was feeling by journaling and talking to my mom.

Were these coping skills the most effective I could have used?

Yes.

If No - What coping skills got me through?

Why do I think they worked?

I think they worked because they helped me to express how I was feeling in a constuctive way and they worked to improve the situation I was in.

How can I deal with these feelings more effectively next time, before the urge to SI sets in?

Next time I can try and take more time everyday to rest and take care of myself so I don't get so frazzeled and feel like si.

LBC
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by LBC » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi morning-glory

Wow...great job on analyzing what happened with this slip!

I think that one of the most useful things we can do when we're in the middle of an urge and overwhelming feelings is to do what you did - just stop, and try to figure out what's going on (Pink Spider reminded me recently of a great tool called HALT - stopping and asking yourself if you're hungry, angry, lonely or tired). Journaling is also a great way to do this...as is talking it over with someone you trust.

You've got a great set of tools at your disposal, and you're obviously using them. Good work!

:1paw:
If you believe everyone is the future
If you believe that nothing ever goes wrong
If you believe that deep down inside you're really falling apart
Know that everybody's weak and everyone can be strong. - Sloan

You always have a choice.