ok, ive decided to tell my mum... advice?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Cellardoor
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

ok, ive decided to tell my mum... advice?

Post by Cellardoor » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:55 pm

So ya, im going to tell my mum that i need some help. im not gonna tell her any of the reasons for why i am how i am, im just gonna tell her that i:
:pinkstar: self harm
:pinkstar: have barely slept for 4 months
:pinkstar: get regular panic attacks
:pinkstar: am so very very worried that i actually am insane
:pinkstar: some of the scary insane things i do and,
:pinkstar: have 'severe depression' (according to every internet test i can find)
:o
So, im just wondering whats the best way to tell her? i dont want to like, overload her or freak her out too bad or upset her too much u know? but i need her help to getme help cos i cant do it my self cos (ive tried) cos im only 16... anyway id really like some help and support on this one, if thats ok, cos its a very scary thing to do... thanks el xxx

I built my house,
Where the ocean meets the land,
It's time to live again,
And pull my dreams out of the sand.

(take the pieces and build them skywards)
(expressions)

FOUR YEARS HAPPY AND FREE!

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Hi. First of all, I really admire you for making this decision. Telling someone is a difficult thing to do. My suggestion would be to have information ready for your mother. perhaps some names of t's and pdocs in your area, information about mental health care, etc.

good luck. I hope this helps you get the support you need. :star:

hard_to_say
one of us
one of us

Post by hard_to_say » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:21 am

Ok first of all I am a MOM of an SIer. I am sure telling her will be very hard but I applaud you for wanting to. Give her a chance. Maybe have some informational websites available for her to go read so you don't need to go into every little detail about what SIing is. Let her react and let her try to cope in her own way. If you don't want her to ask too many questions let her know that. Just be honest.

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:00 am

The way I told someone I'm very close to is actually by using this site. I told them there was a website I wanted to share with them because it's been helpful to me, and went from there. Offering options to her is a good idea as well b/c it may help her to feel less overwhelmed with it all knowing that she doesn't have to start off trying to figure out how best to help b/c you've already provided her with that. You are being very brave, and I admire you for realizing this is something you wish to do in order to take care of yourself.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks