SI and OCD

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Miss-Misery
one of us
one of us

SI and OCD

Post by Miss-Misery » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:56 pm

I was just wondering if this was common. I've given up SI for a year and half, and for the last year, it has become increasingly obvious that i have developed, if thats the appropriate word, obsessive compulsive disorder. HAs this happened to others?

Karuna33
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Karuna33 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:58 pm

In what way does your OCD manisfest.

I have obsessive thinking, not compulsions. The way I see the thinking is anxiety, it's basiclly feeling uncofortable or frightened of my own feelings, so I think about them. I have heard a number of people with depression have obsessions

K

falling...
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by falling... » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:21 pm

I had OCD along time before i SIed... but i lost the OCD kinda when i started SIing. Sorry thats not help. i shall be quiet
Last edited by falling... on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi Miss Misery,

Welcome to BUS :)

I have myself wondered if some of my behaviour falls close to OCD. One of the things I've learnt though, is that OCD type behaviour is something that everyone does to a small extent, but it may not be problematic. I think it is important to be careful about labelling yourself as having a disorder in that way. You really need to see a psych to get diagnosed properly, and if it is the case, they can help you work out a plan of treatment.

Labels aside, if you can talk about specific behaviours and feelings, there might be some ways that people here have found to deal with similar issues. I'd encourage you to share what you're going through, and maybe you can get some ideas on how to cope with what is happening.

- Mallie.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:55 am

Mallie makes good points.

In my experience, it is quite a common thing, perhaps not specifically obsessive behaviours, but it is quite common to 'addiction skip' when you're attempting to give something up. For example at times I don't SI for whatever given reason I tend to smoke a lot more, pull out my hair and pick up ED behaviours. At one point when I as committed to stopping SI I actually stopped myself sleeping for days on end.

I think it would help to talk about some specific behaviours and find ways of coping differently.

:star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Miss-Misery
one of us
one of us

Ocd and SI

Post by Miss-Misery » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 am

The jury is still out on whether i actually have OCD. I'm seeing a counsellor, but he doesn't like using labels, although he brought up the topic of a psychiatrist and medication, which leads me to believe that he probably thinks i have. Of the four types of OCD discussed on the information sheet i was given, i have the 'checking' type and the 'worrying' type. None of the bacteria or repetitive counting prayer stuff, though i am slightly obsessive about hygeine, but not problematically so. the checking stuff is ovens, laptops, phone chargers and electric kettles. if i'm on my own, all the windows and doors. i have to check a few times and write them down before bed and before leaving in the morning. if i can't check (eg when my brother has all night parties, or i'm in someone elses house) i can't sleep. i get panic attacks if i leave the house and don't have stuff written down. Had to go home once from college (2 hour round trip) to check something. Trying to give up SI wasn't as hard as trying to give up this, even though my SI was very compulsive. My unhealthy sense of Catholic guilt was very useful in giving up SI but this is differant. SI felt selfish, because it helped me (in a way) but damaged eveyone else, whereas in this, i feel kinda like despite how illogical the whole thing is, its better to be safe then sorry. Do all these specifics help at all?

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:48 pm

I think there are many ways that OCD can present, not just four, although there could be four common patterns.

If they haven't said you have OCD, its not a good idea to pathologise your behaviour. It does sound like these things cause you distress, and interfere with your life, so OCD could be likely, but wait for the psychiatrist to diagnose you.

I have issues with knowing things are locked. Most specifically, the window in this room, because I'm often up late at night. My parents have usually locked the doors, so its just this window I have to be sure of. I've often had to get out of bed to check it, because I'll remember walking over to it to shut it, but can't specifically remember closing it. And I can't sleep until I do it. What I have found to be useful for that, is to actually say out loud as I do it "I am shutting the window now". I have to actually think about, and notice I'm doing it, so I'll remember it. If its too automatic, I can forget and then worry. Thats a pretty simple example, but just saying it is usually enough to make me sure.

Have you found ways to help you cope with things ? You mentioned writing things down ?