dissociating?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

dissociating?

Post by treasure » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:57 am

just wondering what it is, what it feels like... had a weird experience yesterday when i felt like i forgot my body and my thoughts and became *treasure* who just needed to be there to calm me down. i wasn't having a panic attack (i don't think), but for a minute i was not in control? i feel like it wasn't harmful at all, it only lasted about 30 secs... i thjought dissociating happened when your body was being harmed or you see something that you can't cope with and 'disappear' inside yourself? if that happened to me, what does that mean?? am i making a fuss over nothing??
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

swanfaerie
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by swanfaerie » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:15 am

it sounds similar to what i experience but i won't say you were or were not dissociating. do you have a t you can talk to about this?
Don't do anything stupid.
It's hard to ignore a naked person.
You're a good boy too, Mommy

make your own snowflake!

Place

jaded melody
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by jaded melody » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:19 pm

Dissociation happens to some people more than others. It happens to me sometimes when im really not expecting it if im dealing with thoughts or feelings that are distressing- its a self-defence mechanism. You may well have been dissociating, but i cant really say. When I dissociate i feel like nothing is real and what I can see is like looking at a TV screen, like none of it is really happening to me, like im disconnected from my body and my brain and am just floating beside, watching.
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:58 am

when I disassociate Im not me, im not real nothing real, I walk down halls standing next to myself wondering where this mass of skin and bones is going, I often call it OMM (outside my mind) because it feels like I am watching I also feel asthough nothing is real, and there is nothing. It is auctually very dangerous to walk arond liek this i believe because once in school I just kept walking around I had no attachments. It happens to me alot, anytime usually. For me it lasts several hours
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!

Oddball
one of us
one of us

Post by Oddball » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:36 pm

I pretty much dissociate 24/7. I'll look back on the last few days and realise I'd pretty much switched off yet kept moving, and had watched myself preform duties and regular activities as if nothing was going on.

It gets scary sometimes o.o
<center><a href="http://selfinjury.elliepoet.com">[SI@EP]</a> - <a href="http://www.elliepoet.com">[poetry]</a> - <a href="http://rpg.elliepoet.com">[RPG@EP]</a></center>

aroobixcube
creating your space
creating your space

Post by aroobixcube » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:36 pm

it is exactly what jaded said above. you dont even have to be aware your thinking about things that would upset you becasue youcould be getting them from your subconsious. its a normal reaction. it hapens alot to peaple who have suffered. You will just feel that you are maybe watching your own body function with out telling it to.

you are telling it too tho, but not obviously.

it happens to help you cope with ideas/expereinces you body doesnt feel you are ready to handle.

your not over reacting.

and it doesnt make you wierd.

take care.

Amy.
We learn who we are as the result of coming to terms with our experiences, combining them with the beliefs and attitudes that we have gained from others.

http://reccuperation.tripod.com

support for Self-harmers and their friends and relatives.