A Type of Meditation

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

BlackTara
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

A Type of Meditation

Post by BlackTara » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:36 am

Meditation often helps people cope with various challenges. So I thought I’d try writing some sitting instructions. These instructions are based on what I taught newcomers at my Zen group, but I tried to take the religious aspects out of it and concentrate only on the sitting itself. In the end it is still Zen-type meditation, which has its primary focus on being in the present moment. Over time, this helped me to tolerate feeling uncomfortable and be more forgiving of myself and others. There are many other kinds of meditation out there that can help with other specific things.

For beginners I recommend 20-25 minute sessions.

Posture: The position of your body is a tool to help keep your mind concentrating on the present. When you’ve noticed that your mind has wandered, come back and check your posture.

It is easier to keep your posture straight when sitting on the floor if you have a sturdy pillow or something to sit on. Cross your legs - you can have both feet on the floor or one of them on the thigh of the opposite leg. Having both feet on the thigh of the opposite leg is also possible, but it is difficult to stay in that position for long. What matters is to find a position for your legs that lets both knees touch the ground so you can be sitting on a stable tripod. It can be tough for beginners, but you can shift your feet halfway through. Over time it gets easier and your feet take longer to go numb.

You can also sit on your knees (on top of your feet) without a pillow. Or you can sit on a chair. When using a chair, it helps to have one with a height that allows your knees to be slightly below your waist. Add some cushioning to get it to the right height if needed. Sit forward on the chair so your back is not leaning on the backrest and have your feet about shoulder width apart and directly under your knees.

To get the back straight, you can imagine there is a string attached to the top of your head pulling you up. In some places they rock forward and back and from side to side a couple times before the sitting begins. It is best to have your chin tucked in a bit so that your head is neither falling forward nor leaning back.

Your arms should form a form a circle so that your hands comfortably rest in your lap or on rolled up towel or something. To form the mudra (hand position) most often used in this kind of meditation, place your left hand in your right hand, both with the palms up, and bring the tips of your thumbs together. This will make an oval with your fingers and thumbs. This mudra helps with concentration, because your thumbs can indicate whether your mind has wandered. If you notice that your thumbs have gone “down into a valley or up into a mountain” you should bring them back to a plain so you can have that oval shape again.

Breathing: In meditation breathing is a bit slower and deeper than usual. Your breath goes down into your stomach, so your chest will not rise and fall much.

Counting breaths is a tool often used for concentration. You can count just the out-breath or both the out-breath and in-breath. Either way, if you manage to reach ten, just start back at 1. Most people do not make it to ten anyway, even some that have been doing this for years. If you lose count or notice that your mind has wandered, just start back at 1. The present is where you are right now. If you are caught up in thoughts about last week or tomorrow, come back to the present and start at 1 again. It can be frustrating to never get past 1, but remember that it is the effort that counts. No one can be untalented at sitting. Just forgive yourself and start over, because the present is the breath you are on right now, not the one you just lost count on.

State of Mind: My favorite analogy to use here is to treat the mind like it is your sky, and thoughts and feelings are like clouds. While sitting in meditation, we just observe the weather. It might be bright blue with a couple of fluffy white clouds, or it might be dark gray and raining. Whatever it is, try to just observe without judgment. There might be some that we want to push away and some we want to grab hold, but now is the time to just sit back and let them pass by in their own time. Sometimes we can get caught up in one of those clouds, be it a good or bad one. When you notice this, check your posture and come back to your breathing. Sometimes what is on your mind now is uncomfortable or even painful. Now is the time to sit with it, not push things away. It will pass eventually, as all things do.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:33 pm

Is that meditation called 'Mindfulness'...??? It sound like it...i have just done a 6 week course to learn it...Its really great!!!