My Before Urge Has Changed

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

2banana
one of us
one of us

My Before Urge Has Changed

Post by 2banana » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:02 pm

I am new to the forum so I am nervous. I have been SI for about 1 year and just came out of the closet 2 days ago. My therapist new I was SI but thought it was a recent development. I SI when I become stressed. I start thinking how worthless I am (all of my mothers talk in my head) I have alot of abuse issues that I am working on that have actually increased the SI. I go throught the steps when I get an urge, swim, warm bath, herbal tea, journal. But usually it does not help and I SI, I used to get such relief, chaos went away, I felt in control and I liked the feeling, it does not hurt. But I know the behavior is not healthy and I want to stop. Now I get some relief but it is very short lived and the bad feelings are still there. I want the urge to go away. I feel such shame after I do it. Which just compounds the fact that I feel worthless.
2banana

kazeldya
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by kazeldya » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:22 pm

Do you SI mostly at night or another certain time of day? Sometimes it helps me to think about how I'll feel in the morning: better if I don't, worse if I do.
*almost* SI-free (7 slips) since August 26/27, 2004 (~2 am on 27th) my place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

last slip: about 10pm March 25, 2008

After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same. - Paul Simon
Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and SAFELY insane every night of our lives. - William Dement. So I guess we should just sleep and be insane THEN instead of hurting ourselves (or anyone else)

Tiarin
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Tiarin » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:40 pm

hello, and welcome. :)

i think it's fabulous that you can see the behavior as unhealthy and are wanting to stop. as part of working toward that, i hope this can be a place where you don't have to feel ashamed about it. my experience (which seems to match what you're saying at the end about shame and feeling worthless) is that hating yourself for what you're doing only leaves you more vulnerable to doing it again. you wouldn't be doing this if it weren't helping you somehow, and i've found that the most helpful approach is to look (compassionately) at how it's helping.

do you know what it is that you're looking for when you feel worthless that si helps you with? (for example, does it distract you from the feeling, make you feel better about yourself, etc.)

take good care.

dragonfly
(formerly dragonfly)

"I want to love this world as though it's the last chance I'm ever going to get to be alive and know it." (Mary Oliver)