Fear of death

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

SFTBH
one of us
one of us

Fear of death

Post by SFTBH » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:10 am

For about a week now, I've only been sleeping once i passed out after staying up a few days, fearing that I'll die. I don't know why, but I've developed a huge fear of death, and it constantly bothers me, what can i do to go back to living a normal life again :(
"Barney is singing about, dancing away the blues, while a racially balanced group of mutant children twitch arrhythmically behind him. And you wonder why rock stars throw TV sets from hotel-room windows."- Rivers Cuomo

EllemyshShade
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by EllemyshShade » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:35 pm

Hey there,

I think all of us have struggled with a fear of death at some point in our lives. I know I have. It absorbed my entire being...I was unable to eat or sleep for fear that something could happen and I would die.

One day, I examined my reason for being afraid of death.

*The unknown...what if there is a hell and I burn? Or what if there is nothing, nothing at all, and *I* simply don't exist?

It can be hard to wrap your brain around that.

I don't know if you are a spiritual/religious person, but faith has really helped me deal with my fear of death. In fact, nowadays, I believe that death is merely a transition. A transition to what, I don't know, but I can tell you that I think it will be a very exciting time. Who knows what can happen in the unknown??

The only thing I can suggest is to examine your fears honestly. Death will happen for each of us and we can't change that, but we *can* change the way we view and approach it.

I'm not sure if I helped, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in these feelings. :heart:

take care

love,

Michelle
:bluestar: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. "

J. Krishnamurti :bluestar:

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:55 pm

the barefoot doctor says that his friend who died recently believed that your life is preparation for death, dying.

If you're afraid of dying, I believe you're afraid of living too. But if you're afraid of living, then you will not live properly before you die and not be prepared for it.

To overcome the scary aspects of living you have to not be afraid of dying. Once you're not afraid, things seem possible (constructive things). You're here now, so what are you going to do? You have this wonderful opportunity, so go out there and start living. :star:

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:42 pm

I think you need to sort out the sleep issue perhaps first - either do relaxing exercises (there are posts on sleeping well) or get some sleeping pills.

As far as death goes you need to work through why you are afraid of dying in your sleep - do you know someone who did? Is this a rational fear? What do you believe happens after you die? What are you living for and how will constantly being afraid of dying affect your goals and dreams for living?
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

SFTBH
one of us
one of us

Post by SFTBH » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:57 am

It's not just dying in my sleep I'm scared of, It's death in general, it seems staying away increases my chances a bit(6am right now) and as for afterlife, I'm absolutely convinced death is the final ending, and that's just it. I'm beggining to accept death more now, but I'm just more worried about living a long life, i'm too young to die!!!
"Barney is singing about, dancing away the blues, while a racially balanced group of mutant children twitch arrhythmically behind him. And you wonder why rock stars throw TV sets from hotel-room windows."- Rivers Cuomo

ShadowFlame
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by ShadowFlame » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:52 pm

Don't be afraid of death. Everything has it's time. There is no reason to worry. If you need to talk about it find some one you trust. Myabe the friend from your other post. Just remember that there is always some one to talk to.
In the Shadow there is a light

http://busmail.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=62156

Karuna33
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Karuna33 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:37 pm

The only things that scars me abu death is that it will be like living, full of sadness , regret, and fear. I think I would enjoy it if I flt certain that t was a trnsition to a wider, more peaceful existence.
What used to scare me about dying was suffering...not the actual death, but the suffering that might precede it.
I used to think I have nothing to lose in risking everytihing cause I will die one day. I now see that quality of life is very important, not quantity, so make your choices count. There are consequences to every action and thought, and living with those consequences can be very challenging or very rewarding, depends on the choice.
I read that fear of death menas abandonment issues, may be true in my case. The fear of the unnown cause one feels insecure.