Techy peeps - help?? *sigh*

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

jo_alone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Techy peeps - help?? *sigh*

Post by jo_alone » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm

I'm having trouble browsing the net. It takes FOREVER to load a page - it just took me almost 10 minutes to get to here.

I did all the virus checks, shareware checks - all clear. I then took some advice from my broadband supplier's techy people and managed to narrow it down.

My daughter downloaded limewire (a peer to peer software) before Christmas and even though I have uninstalled it, it is this that is apparently using all my bandwidth and slowing my connection down to almost zilch. I was advised to do a system restore.

Which I have tried. To over 30 different dates now. And each time, it tells me that the system was unable to restore.

I'm running XP Professional - and I have since found out that this is not as *clean* a copy as it could be :roll: I obtained a copy of XP (the home one) from the IT department of my previous job and tried to install that - but the PC couldn't even read it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, particularly any assistance with/alternative to the system restore thingy.

D*mn computers :evil:
One day I will not think...I will just be...

"You can talk to me, I am your safe place" - from a daft film I watched - but those words stuck out a mile

Sometimes people with the worst pasts have the best futures.

You learn from the journey and trying to get where you want to go. Actually arriving is not what it's all about.
tis me
GONE CRAZY - BACK SOON

Jomomma
board admin
board admin

Post by Jomomma » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:24 pm

Poor Jo

I can feel you
Been there more times than I can count

I hope someone is able to help you fix this soon
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

The_Green_One
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by The_Green_One » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:29 pm

Ive never used limewire, im a kazza fan. But never had any problems uninstalling any peer to peer programs. It does soundlike like you could have a virus of sorts or lots of adware. Have you done any adware scans? Do you have a program to do this if not this is what I normally use ADAWARE The free version works well. The other thing if you look into your C drive then find program files see if there is anything labelled limewire and delete it (sometimes stuff is left) See if any of this works.

The ulltimate fix is to reset the PC on the original settings that were there when you bought it. Thats a little severe as you loose lots of data etc. Try everything else first.

Good Luck