Problems logging in

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

magebaby
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Problems logging in

Post by magebaby » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:19 am

once i'm logged in i can stay logged in, but it often takes 2 or 3 tries to log in...i'm not mispelling anything because i don't get the "invalid memeber name or password window". anyone know what's going on?

thanks.

mage
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" --Nelson Mandela

No hugs, thanks

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:46 am

try going to buslist.org/phpBB instead of busmail.

deb
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

magebaby
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by magebaby » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:00 pm

that seems to work. thanks.

mage
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" --Nelson Mandela

No hugs, thanks

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 am

It seems to be doing something of a 'semi- login'

ie - type in username/password,
and the summary of who is online shows me as being logged in,
but the forum index and links in the top right corner [subsilver]
do not - rather than displaying 'logout [ben]' it still shows 'login'
"Knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and god was not there.The cold,suffocating dark goes on forever,and we are alone.Live our lives, lacking anything better to do.Devise reason later.Born from oblivion;bear children,hellbound as ourselves;go into oblivion.There is nothing else.Existence is random.Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long.No meaning save what we choose to impose."

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:37 pm

*nods* mine's been doing like bens. when i login i am not really logged in... cannot post or see all forums. yet when i login again & really am logged in all topics come up as old topics........

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:19 am

is this on buslist or busmail?

you know, this is causing enough trouble that i should probably set it back to default. sigh.

deb
pllace

What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:27 am

buslist. that's the only way i know how to get here :oops:

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:57 am

or just change the link on the buslist.org page...that might save a lot of people confusion..
Cuz' you know, I don't do sadness

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:31 am

plantt wrote:buslist. that's the only way i know how to get here :oops:
Me too, I do the same as plantt. Its very frustrating, you have to log in twice and then no 'new posts' show up because you were already sort of logged in the first time...

And does 'log-out' work properly 1st time too? This is important, as my d and I really don't want to intrude on each other's space here....... Enough trust issues as it is :-?
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable.
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams
Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak
:bfly: THE TIME TO TELL SOMEONE YOU CARE IS NOW :bfly:

Ruby Tuesday
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 am

hate to say it, but I'm having the same problems.
"I saw spiders where there were no spiders" - patti smith
"'My hands', she said, 'I've left them somewhere and now I can't find them.' She was holding her hands in the air, helplessly, as if she couldn't move them.
'They're right there', I said, 'On the end of your arms'
'No, no', she said impatiently, 'Not those , those are no good anymore. My other hands, the ones I had before, the ones I could touch things with.'" - margaret atwood

place

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:09 pm

here's the basic what's-going-on thing:

okay, it has to do with cookies.

first, i should explain in detail why things changed. it's a bit selfish of me to do it this way, and if it keeps causing trouble i'll find another solution.

my work blocks all websites that have "mail" in their url. they don't want people accessing webmail at work because apparently a year ago someone let in a very nasty virus that way.

before the board upgrade, i just mirrored everything from busmail.org/phpBB to buslist. i had to put up with some weirdness, but i was able to read the board from work.

after the update to 2.0.11, things changed. now if you logged in from buslist, you got sent to busmail addresses anyway. so once i logged in, i got blocked from the site. it made me paranoid. i discovered that the domain is now a value in the database, and that there's nothing i can do to make it happily service two domains like it used to do. no matter what address you use to log in, it diverts you to the domain that is in the database.

if you log on using buslist, you get a buslist cookie. if you log on using busmail, you get a busmail cookie. these save all your session information and let the board know when you're logged on and when your last activity was and whether it should ever log you out.

here's where it gets tricky. if you log on using busmail, you get a busmail cookie *and* you immediately get sent to a buslist page (because that's what the database says the domain is meant to be). on the buslist page, the board looks for your buslist login cookie. you don't have one, so it agrees to let you in but it's not tracking you very well and it's not really happy about the situation. it may lose your info, reset stuff, forget who you are, suddenly drop out of logged-in mode (believe me, i know all of this from personal experience).

if you log on using buslist, it doesn't cause issues because there's not the cookie mixup.
pllace

Priceless
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus
Location: Theres something rotten in the state of Denmark, and its not me!

Post by Priceless » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:09 pm

So i should just write www.buslist.org/phpBB/ Instead of busmail???

<center>
|| my place *read 1 post please* || my livejournal || || my deviant-art ||
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
-- Frank Outlaw

Proud member of OATS - Oldies against text speak

</center>

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:56 pm

yes. That way you are always receiving buslist cookies. :-)

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:40 am

I still want to know - do you get totally logged out when you log out??

It really IS important - neither I nor my d would want to pry in each other's private spaces, but if it takes 2 go's to log out like it takes to login - well we're only human, but neither of us would want to accidentally pry - somebody PLEASE put my mind at rest here - we're very careful of each other's privacy, is bus being as careful too??
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable.
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams
Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak
:bfly: THE TIME TO TELL SOMEONE YOU CARE IS NOW :bfly:

Ruby Tuesday
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:48 am

sorry if i've got all this talk of cookies wrong - but i always use buslist address and still have problems logging in?
"I saw spiders where there were no spiders" - patti smith
"'My hands', she said, 'I've left them somewhere and now I can't find them.' She was holding her hands in the air, helplessly, as if she couldn't move them.
'They're right there', I said, 'On the end of your arms'
'No, no', she said impatiently, 'Not those , those are no good anymore. My other hands, the ones I had before, the ones I could touch things with.'" - margaret atwood

place

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:37 pm

do you go to buslist.org and click the link to view bus? If so, the link itself brings you to busmail.org...you'll have to manually type in buslist.org/phpBB in order to get to the buslist.org

ChaseThisPhoto

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:41 am

*is a bit confused*

k&mmom
building community
building community

Post by k&mmom » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:38 am

This might be the same thing as buslist vs busmail but if I use the 'log in to check your messages' link I only have to log in once and then can back out to the forum. If I use the 'log in' link then I have to log in twice and the indicators of the new posts since last log in are all screwed up but they're fine if I back out from the pm area.

Did that make any sense?
I don't want to over react, but I don't want to under react either.

Boogie Man
one of us
one of us

Post by Boogie Man » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:27 pm

ok this what fixed it for me:

instead of logging in through /busmail.org/phpBB/index/ (which instead of logging me into BUS redirected me to /buslist.org/phpBB/index/ hence the need to log in twice) i logged into BUS through /buslist.org/phpBB/index/)

i was still experiencing minor problems, which i assumed to be my browser to picking up conflicting cookie files from both the buslist and busmail sites.
cookies are web site information that is saved onto your computer to allow your browser to load web pages that you have already seen more quickly, and in the case of BUS, to allow your browser to notice changes in the web site (for emaple wheather new posts have been made or not).
hence, if you have cookies disabled you wont be able to tell if there has been new posts made or not.

to fix this i went to the top menu of my browser (it being internet explorer) and clicked tools > internet options...
when i got into internet options window i then clicked the delete cookies... and the delete files... button (ticking the box for offline content) in the square ring with temporary internet files above it.

doing this fixed the problems i was having with bus.

peace

hollow cry
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by hollow cry » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:37 pm

it works for me at home, but at college i need to log in twice
dont listen to what i say, just listen to what i cant keep silent