cmoputer hardware

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Electric Sunday
orange smartie
orange smartie

cmoputer hardware

Post by Electric Sunday » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:56 pm

I just brought up the idea of getting a larger hard drive for our existing home PC. This thing is laughably archaic (the running joke with a friend is that it was used to map out stonehenge before building commenced :roll: ), although it was at least halfway decent in 1998.

anyways to get to the point. It's fairly pointless putting '98 onto a new HD. Personally I wanna put XP on there. XP wopn't run on a 200 MHz processer. Therefore need new motherboard. (Although I"m pretty sure this one is on its last legs anyway)
Father then complains that I've only been home 5 minutes and am already trying to con him out of £1500 . Son goes to www.Kelkoo.co.uk and discovers that you can get a new motherboard for £5.35 (including postage :o ).

Obviously I wouldn't trust a motherboard than cost a fiver. But at the same time I'm clueless as to what I should be looking for in a decent motherboard.

Can anybody tell me? budget is somewhere around the £30 mark (given that it's probably gonna end up being my money), and I've seen loads on kelkoo for that sort of price, but I wouldn't know if any of them are any good.

Any ideas?
' "Why" is the only question that bothers people enough to have a letter of the alphabet named after it. ' [Douglas Adams]

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:18 am

Get one that is compatible with a good set of RAM and other cards. I think that's the most important thing. Depends what you'll settle for.

-alex

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:33 am

That's probably £5 for the board and nowt else:

you'll need a cpu, ram and other gubbins too
[which is where chipsets and such come in :-? ]