How do you access bus? (new poll)

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

How do you access BUS? (check all that apply)

I use an app (please specify which) on my smartphone/tablet.
7%
I use my smartphone's/tablet's browser.
18%
I use the browser of my non-smartphone.
No votes
I access BUS only via my computer (please indicate why) .
18%
I access BUS via my computer as well as with an app on my smart device (please describe when/for what purpose you use which device).
11%
I access BUS via my computer as well as with the browser of my smart device (please describe when/for what purpose you use which device).
46%
Other - please specify.
No votes

Total votes: 28

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm redoing this poll because I screwed up the last one a bit :) I've merged the replies on the other post - those of who you voted already, please vote again (and sorry for the hassle!). We want to find out a little more about how you access bus, how you feel about the different options for accessing bus, what works well and what doesn't, what you think could be improved and how you would ideally like to access bus. Please check all options that apply and describe in as much detail as you can. Please also indicate what kind of device you have (Android, iPhone, iPad etc.) If you're using an app, which one do you use and how do you find it? If you could wish freely, what features would you like to see in an app/browser when you accessed bus? Of course, you're welcome to PM one of the admins if you'd like to talk privately :)

sojourner_steph
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Re: Do you access BUS on your phone/tablet?

Post by sojourner_steph » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:46 pm

I use my iPhone's Internet browser to access BUS a lot to read or write short posts/replies, but if I want to post something long I use my computer (there's less of a chance of accidentally deleting it that way).

Oceanic
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Oceanic » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:48 am

deleted as duplicate
Last edited by Oceanic on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent.-HP Lovecraft
still waters run deep

SomeOneElse
building community
building community

Post by SomeOneElse » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:46 am

Smartphone is not a very user friendly option for me.

I use an internet browser on my tablet/iPad. It works well for me personally for reading, and until today posting short responses. It would not allow me to send PM or save to draft. I'm not sure if that was a fluke today, or what.

For longer things, I generally use chrome web browser on my laptop, with adaptive technology. Though I haven't tried screen reader with anything BUS related at this point.
:bfly: :cyheart: :bfly: :cyheart: :bfly:

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Post by treasure » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 am

i occasionally use the default android browser which can have a little trouble showing the reply box and editing a reply. it works well enough though, when i am out and really want to be on bus.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

childofchaos831
forum moderator - rw & games & distractions

Post by childofchaos831 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 am

I use my browser for polls cuz they don't show in the app. Otherwise I use Tapatalk. At least on my phone. I'm on my phone more than my computer these days. Get on on the computer once a day and the phone like 5 to 10 times a day.

Coffee

mande
forum moderator - life after & place
forum moderator - life after & place

Post by mande » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:04 pm

I try to access BUS on Tapatalk on my iPhone. I can read, but I can't post. Something about the forum being so out of date.

I also access it via Chrome on my iPad. I have a keyboard for my tablet so I treat it like a computer. I'm rarely on my computer anymore since I'm always running around.

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 pm

sar, I remember I deliberately didn't put that option, but I have to admit I don't remember why anymore, I'm sure I had a good thought somewhere! :D It's not a poll that will demand any kind of scientific stuff, it's curiosity along with trying to figure out how to meet people's needs, especially when it comes to smartphones and tablets, since that's increasingly what people use to access the net.

For those of you who use Tapatalk, could you describe a bit more how it works? I've never used it myself. Would it be something you would use more if it worked better? (you mentioned editing and not being able to post) mande, do you get an error message from Tapatalk? It sounds like most of you use the phone's/tablet's browser, do you find it easy to use/navigate? Is it "mobile-friendly"? Have you been to other forums that work better with your phone/tablet? Are there features you've seen somewhere that you'd want for bus?

Please note that I'm not after developing an app or some such, I wouldn't know where to start or where to find the time! But we're interested in finding out if there's anything we can do to improve the user experience of bus, within the limits we have.

Oceanic
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Oceanic » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:04 am

I generally use my laptop to access BUS. From time to time I use my tablet (a google nexus), but I generally find it easier to type on a laptop then a tablet keyboard so I don't reply when using my tablet. Occasionally I use the browser (chrome, safari) on my iPhone to check bus, but it's really user-unfriendly. The site is just too large to see and navigate on a phone screen, at least for me and making any kind of reply requires a lot of zooming around and gets deleted too easily. I wouldn't download tapatalk or any other app specifically to use for BUS, but that's just my preference.
Last edited by Oceanic on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent.-HP Lovecraft
still waters run deep

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 am

I tried accessing Bus once via safari on my iphone and it wasn't phone friendly at all - the pages didn't fit the phone screen if you get me and I was constantly having to drag the entire screen around to see different bits of it and the text was tiny to the point of almost can't read it - so I haven't done it again. I just use my desktop (or laptop when I had one in the past) to get onto the forum.
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

childofchaos831

Post by childofchaos831 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:54 am

I'll be using my phone's browser more often instead of Tapatalk because the app is no longer compatible with the forum til the forum is upgraded phpbb wise I think

Coffee :java:
"Do not be ashamed of the wars your soul has fought to save itself."
~isra al-thibeh

Chaos Child - My Blog

wabbit
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by wabbit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 am

i only access bus from my computer as i dont have a smartphone or tablet. i find the screen on my non smartphone too small to use for internet (its old and doesnt zoom in or anything) i can use my home wifi on my ipod touch, but have only done that when ive had computer issues. i hope to one day be able to afford to upgrade my phone and get a smartphone, but i cant justify it atm, esp when i need to save to get a new laptop as this one is slowly dying (i already have to use a wireless keyboard with it because the laptop keyboard is stuffed, the usb ports are getting loose, the battery doesnt charge, it runs out of memory etc etc.)

sorry for the ramble
*BOING BOING BOING*

:bcatsmile: SHACA :bcatsmile:
adopted emoties :
:1groupflip:
:misfit:
:o Zombie general
Image by treasure :) Image by wds

Eisa
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by Eisa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:27 am

I only access BUS on my laptop, because my phone's web browser is awful and doesn't really load anything, much less a forum. :c And I've never tried to check it on my wife's tablet before.
We come in pieces. :pinkstar:

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."~Nietzsche

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

My Place
My PBH

BUS family:
Twin~Beasty
Elf Sib~Sprink
Fairy Mummy~Starry
Younger Sissy~Kate
Big Bruvver~Dan
Half-Sissy~Annabel
Cousin~Peggie
Aunt~Mande
Sprinkled Cupcake~Noldo

:heart: :1hug: :1soothe: :heart:

Scatterbrain
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Scatterbrain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:39 am

I typically post on my chromebook (laptop). My android phone's chrome web browser works ok for reading and writing short replies, but bus does not seem to be very mobile friendly. I'm constantly having to zoom in and out and have accidentally deleted things several times...
"The impossible just takes a little longer."
- HCJ (1/9/25- 2/26/08 )

"That there, that's not me/I go where I please/I walk through walls/I float down the Liffey
I'm not here/This isn't happening"
- "How to Disappear Completely" Radiohead

Place: Want to live and breathe/I want to be part of the human race
PBH: Back to the basics

imme
growing roots
growing roots

Post by imme » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 pm

I usually use the browser on my windows phone.
🌻

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 pm

I'm redoing this poll because I screwed up the last one a bit :) I've merged the replies on the other post - those of who you voted already, please vote again (and sorry for the hassle!). We want to find out a little more about how you access bus, how you feel about the different options for accessing bus, what works well and what doesn't, what you think could be improved and how you would ideally like to access bus. Please check all options that apply and describe in as much detail as you can. Please also indicate what kind of device you have (Android, iPhone, iPad etc.) If you're using an app, which one do you use and how do you find it? If you could wish freely, what features would you like to see in an app/browser when you accessed bus? Of course, you're welcome to PM one of the admins if you'd like to talk privately :)

roseleaf
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: How do you access bus? (new poll)

Post by roseleaf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Laptop most of the time, but occasionally using my phone's browser from work. It loads fine most of the time but you do rather have to squint to read the writing, for it is very small indeed.
For among these winters there is one so endlessly winter
that only by wintering through it all will your heart survive.
~Rainer Maria Rilke

:rose:

My place

Butterfly.
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon

Post by Butterfly. » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 am

I generally use my tablet's browser. Occasionally I'll check it on my phones browser but find it really awkward. I prefer to use my laptop for longer posts, or when I'm going to be multitasking. Actually, if I'm honest, I would prefer to be using my laptop all the time I access bus, but I tend to not have it out as much now I have a tablet.

:purpstar:
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.

Stellaria
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by Stellaria » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:49 am

For quickly checking posts or messages, the chrome browser in my android phone works, but posting requires a bit of zooming in and out and it's easy to mess things up in the process.

For writing any longer posts, or more extensive reading, I use chrome or firefox on my laptop.
Challenges, hugs, and just about everything welcome. :bfly:

New place: invisible words
Old place: invisible ink

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Unless it is something in-depth, I use Chrome on my phone. I'm rarely on my laptop.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: