IMPORTANT - spam settings changing

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Isme
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Re: IMPORTANT - spam settings changing

Post by Isme » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:24 pm

call me crazy but i don't think the new settings are working. judging by the amount of spam in place at the moment.
So go downtown
Where all the lights are bright, downtown
Waiting for you tonight, downtown
You're gonna be alright now, downtown

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Nah, I'm not going to call you crazy! (at least not for what you've said here :wink: :tongue: )

The amount of spam has been reduced, we're not getting quite as much as we were, but it's still a big problem. We're looking into a lot of different solutions and trying our best to come up with an answer that'll work. If anyone has got any ideas (especially if you're techie!), please let us know.

And keep reporting spam when you see it, it's a huge help.

LKinney
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by LKinney » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:52 am

Oh sweet irony....

(EDIT: posted because I was highly amused at spam messages on the thread - NOT a diss to the admin. LOVE ADMIN!)
Last edited by LKinney on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
**We have DID.**

"The first thing you learn is how to be alone. You learn, or suffer. It is an easy lesson. You suffer more when people are around. People make you feel alone. And loneliness is a quiet wound." - Laura Kinney (aka: X-23, Wolverine)

"That is the one trick I never quite figured out: how to let someone in without it ending badly." – Jessica Jones

"This is what happens when you give a shit; the world flings it back at you." – Jessica Jones

"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god." - Aristotle

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:23 am

To be honest, there is only so much that we can do. No matter what we do, no matter how much we tighten the board up, spammers are going to get through any net we put up. As much as it sucks, that's the reality. All we can do is keep squashing them as they appear, and this is why the report button (hitting the red exclamation point at the bottom right of the post) or PM'ing the mods for that particular forum - is SO IMPORTANT - as much as we try as staff to keep spam off the board, we can't catch everything. You guys have as much of a hand in splatting spam as we do, and we are grateful for that.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

LKinney
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by LKinney » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:45 am

Oh gosh, Spidey, I wasn't picking on any of you. YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!! I was just laughing at the fact that this thread about trying to reduce spammers had three spam messages, especially since it hadn't been posted on in awhile. It just highly amused me.

Let me make that clear again: I WAS NOT DISSING ADMIN! I LOVE YOU FOLKS!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**We have DID.**

"The first thing you learn is how to be alone. You learn, or suffer. It is an easy lesson. You suffer more when people are around. People make you feel alone. And loneliness is a quiet wound." - Laura Kinney (aka: X-23, Wolverine)

"That is the one trick I never quite figured out: how to let someone in without it ending badly." – Jessica Jones

"This is what happens when you give a shit; the world flings it back at you." – Jessica Jones

"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god." - Aristotle

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:52 am

LKinney wrote:Oh gosh, Spidey, I wasn't picking on any of you. YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!! I was just laughing at the fact that this thread about trying to reduce spammers had three spam messages, especially since it hadn't been posted on in awhile. It just highly amused me.

Let me make that clear again: I WAS NOT DISSING ADMIN! I LOVE YOU FOLKS!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's all good! All good! Don't worry!!!

:1grhug: :1hug: :java:
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

LKinney
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by LKinney » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 am

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
**We have DID.**