The spam on this board is OUT OF CONTROL.

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: The spam on this board is OUT OF CONTROL.

Post by Just Pomegranates » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:27 am

I have to agree with Jess.

If Deb doesn't really seem interested in maintaining the day-to-day functionality of BUS beyond the forum itself being open then I agree that that ultimate control should be passed onto someone else who does have the time/interest in doing that maintenance.
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

Milvus
board admin
board admin

Post by Milvus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

We appreciate that people are frustrated with some of the features (or absence of features) of the board at the moment. We really would like to fix them. However, Deb founded this community, and this board, and pays for and maintains the server, all voluntarily and alongside her RL commitments. She's currently taking a break from active participation on BUS after many years of hard work for the community. Additionally all of us admins and mods are volunteers, and are not from programming backgrounds like Deb is, so whether we'd be able to make some of the changes we'd like to if she gave us access is debatable! I'm sure I for one could royally muck some stuff up inadvertently and potentially compromise the board, so there is that consideration in the mix, as well. We all, mods and admins alike work hard to clear spam as fast as possible, and most spam is removed within a couple of hours. That is also thanks to the helpful reports from you guys of course!
A nevem Corti és papírzsepi vagyok meg gumikígyó jövetele!

bearcat
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by bearcat » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Perhaps there is another suitable person to run the board among us, programming duties and all? I'm sure that Deb would be understanding that her reduced participation has some consequences. I think that it's best to leave this an open problem, to which a more agreeable solution might be found in the future, rather than foreclosing upon it as though "this is as good as it gets"
Be diligent, dutiful, and hardworking; be rational, consistent, and trustworthy; be kind, open, and forgiving.

"What we see is not reality in itself, but reality exposed to our method of questioning." Werner Heisenberg, 1901

"It went wrong.
But you are still here.
So it went right, too."
~Nisi

__place___
:snail: ___workshop__[/center]

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Re: IMPORTANT: Bus admins' e-mail address not working

Post by Spidey » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:34 am

Why has this not been fixed?
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Just Pomegranates
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Just Pomegranates » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:15 am

I'm just wondering how the anti-spam measures are coming along?

I know there was some talk to trying to look at more options to stop it but I'm still clearing away/linking spammer accounts in the Spamilious thread every day and just wondering if we've made any more progress with that yet?
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” - Dalai Lama XIV

“The shark that does not swim, drowns.” - Russian Proverb

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 am

I am no longer staff, but anti-spam implementation tactics take some time, especially if modifications to the board software have to be made.

All things in time.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Just Pomegranates wrote:I'm just wondering how the anti-spam measures are coming along?

I know there was some talk to trying to look at more options to stop it but I'm still clearing away/linking spammer accounts in the Spamilious thread every day and just wondering if we've made any more progress with that yet?
[for those of you who don't know, the Spamalicious thread is a thread on the mods forum where mods report spam accounts]

I know it's frustrating, but like Gaball Screen said, these things take time. It's gotten a lot better than it was, switching from the picture-CAPTCHA helped a lot, I think, although we haven't given up of course.

Mia

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:52 am

This has been up since last year and it STILL! has not been fixed.

Half the emotes are gone, ability to upload avatars is gone, deletion of your own posts in place is gone, HTML is gone and the email is gone.

Seriously -- When is this going to be fixed? When are *all* the issues - including the spam that proliferates faster than Bayern Munich goals - going to be fixed?
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:19 am

The current e-mail address (bodiesundersiege@gmail.com) continues to work well for people who would like to contact the admins as a group.
Alone we are born
And die alone
Yet see the red-gold cirrus
Over snow-mountain shine.

From High Country Weather, James K Baxter

You walk with an intelligence
That informs a clear bright eye
There are unexpected revelations
In the company of ravens.

From In The Company Of Ravens, Maddy Prior

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:31 am

I get that, and that's cool - but busboard@busmail.org should - like the rest of the issues that exist - need to be resolved.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)