policy on replacing absent mods

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

bearcat
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

policy on replacing absent mods

Post by bearcat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 am

I've noticed that there are at least a few mods who haven't been present on BUS for 1-2 years. What's the policy on replacing people who are no longer participants? It just occurs to me because perhaps these areas would run better had they more mod participation. In some areas of BUS, the mods serve as interested posters that really contribute to the various posts, as well as welcome wagon people. I remember when I created my place years ago, there were at least a couple of people who seemed to be intent that this was their job to welcome new place makers. I imagine if I made a place now, there would not be a similar response.

Anyways, feel free to inform me that I am totally wrong and am behaving like an inappropriate busybody. I'm just curious, is all.
Be diligent, dutiful, and hardworking; be rational, consistent, and trustworthy; be kind, open, and forgiving.

"What we see is not reality in itself, but reality exposed to our method of questioning." Werner Heisenberg, 1901

"It went wrong.
But you are still here.
So it went right, too."
~Nisi

__place___
:snail: ___workshop__[/center]

bearcat
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: policy on replacing absent mods

Post by bearcat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 am

Bumping this after a month, as I would still like to see it addressed. Mods, are you out there?
Be diligent, dutiful, and hardworking; be rational, consistent, and trustworthy; be kind, open, and forgiving.

"What we see is not reality in itself, but reality exposed to our method of questioning." Werner Heisenberg, 1901

"It went wrong.
But you are still here.
So it went right, too."
~Nisi

__place___

Stefani140
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Stefani140 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I think it is an interesting question as I've noticed that too. There are a few mods that are pretty active but if anything is going on outside their area that needs attention they can do nothing but wait for that mod or an admin to show up. And I can honestly say that on my time on bus, there are some mods I've never even seen active on the site. But I suspect that the lack of response to the question probably means there isn't a replacement policy. :olol:
"Even if you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it does not mean you're wrong."

PMs, comments, challenges, advice and hugs welcome.

My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128060

Milvus
board admin
board admin

Post by Milvus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Which areas do you feel are understaffed? You can pm me if you'd rather :)
A nevem Corti és papírzsepi vagyok meg gumikígyó jövetele!

Stefani140
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Stefani140 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Just a few examples that I can think of. I can honestly say that I have not seen most of the mods for these sections in well over a year, at least. So unless they are signing in and just hiding then I have no idea they are there.

Before & After, Workshop, Life After, pretty much all of the after hours areas (only one mod I can remember for expressions), PBH.

So, if I understand the board correctly, no other mods than those listed can take action in those areas. So if something happens or a post needs to be deleted, spam, issues between members, things like that....there is no choice except just waiting for an Admin. New mods may not be the best choice, but definitely getting some more coverage with the mods that are active would be helpful in my opinion.
"Even if you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it does not mean you're wrong."

PMs, comments, challenges, advice and hugs welcome.

My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128060

swirlish
board admin
board admin

Post by swirlish » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Are there a lot of problems in those areas?

Mia

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:07 pm

If you are seeing problems, please use the 'report' feature to draw attention to the problem. That is the fastest way for issues to be resolved, because either a mod for that section can take action or an admin can.
Cuz' you know, I don't do sadness

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto

bearcat
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by bearcat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 am

I wasn't posing this question because I perceive there to be problems. I was more thinking that perhaps areas of the board would benefit from positive attention that could be provided by active mods. It is nice that when you post in an area, that even if you don't get a lot of other members involved, a mod steps up and supports you.

Stefani140 has done a good job of listing the areas I was thinking of in my original post. It just seems odd to me that people who are inactive in a more lengthy way still have mod duties.

"It went wrong.
But you are still here.
So it went right, too."
~Nisi

__place___