Techy Folks, I NEED Your Help

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Jomomma
board admin
board admin

Techy Folks, I NEED Your Help

Post by Jomomma » Sat May 05, 2007 9:09 am

I am having major CD rom and driver issues

If anyone out there has any idea how to make things work right on my puter, would you please email me?

I am close to throwin this thing right out the window
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

Boogie Man
one of us
one of us

Post by Boogie Man » Tue May 08, 2007 6:13 am

i gather your computer is not recognising the CD drive, amongst other things?

your computer should automatically recognise common/critical devices such as CD, floppy, and hard disk drives, RAM PCBs, monitors, keyboards, and mice etc. you don't have to install drivers to do *basic* things with these devices, because they are normally recognised by the computer's BIOS.

the BIOS is a chip on the computer's mainboard that's programmed to recognise hardware that's plugged into the mainboard; and in the case of monitors, keyboards, and mice, the mainboard's I/O ports.

it's also used as a tool to make sure your system is running properly before (and after) you install an operating system (ie. windows) onto the computer's hard disk drive.

I'm not a computer tech by any means, but i'd guess that your cd drive isn't working because either...

(A) the CD drive you are trying to install is too new for your bios to recognise.

(B) malicious software has fucked with your bios (probably the most likely).

(C) your CD drive is fucked (ie. the computer recognises the drive, but the drive fails to read CDs properly).

with A & B you need to update your BIOS, with C you need to replace your cd drive; in either case i'd suggest taking your PC to someone who actually knows about computers so they can fix it for you. :tongue: