S L O W N E S S O F B U S

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

S L O W N E S S O F B U S

Post by friarygirl » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:18 am

I swear, between the ineptitude of the relevant people in Gibraltar to provide a "broadband" service, and the inability of BUS to deliver stuff that downloads before it times out, i'M GOING TO KILL SOMEBODY!!!

I know BUS needs updating, its huge, and its a big job to tackle. BUT - why is BUS always, consistently, the slowest place I ever visit? I understand when stuff is being done, and I'm cool with that. But day in, day out, the place I need fastest access to basically, is the one I'm left dangling, and then "timed out" of.

*a very fed-up friarygirl*
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable.
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams
Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak
:bfly: THE TIME TO TELL SOMEONE YOU CARE IS NOW :bfly:

pinky
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by pinky » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:30 am

sorry Friarygirl...i dont seem to have any trouble with BUS timing out on me and i am on dial-up...i sure hope things get fixed for you soon...
welcome wagon member - member of OATS - oldies against text speak
you will always be remembered and missed
:pinkheart: 7.12.08 Carmen :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 1.16.11 Kalika :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 11.3.11 Yorkie :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 4.20.12 Dewkey :pinkheart:
the time to tell someone you care is now
:bcatsmile: SHACA :bcatsmile:

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:02 pm

I don't have a techy answer, but when bus is slow I tend to do something else in another window (games usually ;)) while I'm waiting. That helps to make it less frustrating, and I'm not sure that there is much that can be done for now.
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:37 pm

The problem is likely to be related to bandwidth.

It's essentially a free site, which means that there isn't a huge amount of bandwidth when compared to say - google/amazon/ebay or news sites etc which pay for massive amounts of bandwidth in order to remain speedy.

That and general traffic - the whole interwebs seems to grind to a near halt periodically.
"Knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and god was not there.The cold,suffocating dark goes on forever,and we are alone.Live our lives, lacking anything better to do.Devise reason later.Born from oblivion;bear children,hellbound as ourselves;go into oblivion.There is nothing else.Existence is random.Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long.No meaning save what we choose to impose."

GLaDOS
ticket inspector
ticket inspector

Post by GLaDOS » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:44 am

BUS is craaaaawling in my skiiiiin. it's like... the slowest place I've ever been to. some of the stuff takes minutes to load @_@ and it's the only phpbb forum i'm having problems with.

eh. the server probably can't handle the 323693836278583748748378 users' traffic. but still, it sucks. ;_;

edit: also, it's weird. some moments it's perfect (like now), but most of the time it's really slow. @_@
This was a triumph.

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:27 pm

notevenpretty wrote:I don't have a techy answer, but when bus is slow I tend to do something else in another window (games usually ;)) while I'm waiting. That helps to make it less frustrating, and I'm not sure that there is much that can be done for now.
I do this too. Thank God for tabbed browsing!
Cuz' you know, I don't do sadness

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto

mark
one of us
one of us

Post by mark » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:28 am

Not bandwidth, there is oodles of that spare, it's the server -- it's old and slow (800mhz duron) and spends a good deal of time running at 100% cpu. It will be replaced with something more up to date in the next couple of months (dual core xeon). Speed variations are basically due to load variations -- the less people using at one time, the faster it is.

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:20 pm

see my post about downtime. it should be better in a couple of weeks.
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]