pictures in sigs

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Mon May 16, 2005 4:18 pm

OK, lol. Thanks to Laura: the pic in my sig now is 7.something. So should be fine. Thankyou for people's help.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Mon May 16, 2005 4:47 pm

it's showing as just over 7 for me.

the weird thing about files on your computer is that sometimes they can show as being larger than they really are. there are two ways of measuring a file's size on your hard drive -- one is by how many bytes are in the file, and the other is by how much disk space it takes up. for instance, the way i have my hard drive set up, the smallest unit of space is 4k. so if i have a file that is 3500 bytes, it takes up 4k. but another file i have may be 850 bytes in actual size; it still takes up 4k on disk. (the extra unused space is sometimes called slack space).

anyway, had it been too big, you wouldn't have been able to save the changes to your profile. so it's fine now.

deb
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Mon May 16, 2005 5:45 pm

sine nomine wrote:it's showing as just over 7 for me.

the weird thing about files on your computer is that sometimes they can show as being larger than they really are. there are two ways of measuring a file's size on your hard drive -- one is by how many bytes are in the file, and the other is by how much disk space it takes up. for instance, the way i have my hard drive set up, the smallest unit of space is 4k. so if i have a file that is 3500 bytes, it takes up 4k. but another file i have may be 850 bytes in actual size; it still takes up 4k on disk. (the extra unused space is sometimes called slack space).

anyway, had it been too big, you wouldn't have been able to save the changes to your profile. so it's fine now.

deb
Good. I was getting paranoid that my computer was lying to me ;) lol
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."