How do you delete a post?

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: How do you delete a post?

Post by Proximity » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 pm

An update - we can probably change everything so it's like it was before, but it's not going to happen immediately.
We have to do some testing and also get in contact with deb before any change happens.
It's important that before we change permissions, we make sure that the lack of the delete button was a mistake that happened from changing the board over, and not a preference of deb's.
If we do change it back, we're going to test things to make sure we get it right - that's more important than changing it right *now*.

In the meantime, I know you don't like it, but being able to edit out what you've written really isn't the world's worst option. You don't have to put "..." or "deleted" you could write something like "oops, I posted by accident!"
I think that would be less likely to result in people being concerned, and I really don't think it would be seen as a faux pas or be overly awkward.

:grystar: prox. :grystar:
[tell me to get back to real work!]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Thank you Prox. :)

However, it is still the board not working properly as users need it to work, so I think it needs fixing asap, pretty please?

Sarah
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable.
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams
Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak
:bfly: THE TIME TO TELL SOMEONE YOU CARE IS NOW :bfly:

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:17 pm

I am not an admin (that sounds so weird!), so I don't know the behind the scenes stuff anymore. And this is just my opinion, with how I understand things...which could be wrong.
However, it is still the board not working properly as users need it to work, so I think it needs fixing asap, pretty please?
This is a "strong want" level, rather than a "need". I understand that it is really useful to be able to delete and it is an option you are used to having... but this isn't the level of crisis it would be if the board were offline or if you were unable to post at all.

They will work on it. They said they would. But it may not be as quickly as you would like, because this isn't something that can be fixed with just the people who are here right now, nor is it a matter of just clicking a box... they would need to test what the ramifications are and make sure they are acceptable. (For example, if giving the delete option gave EVERYONE the option to delete any post, then it would be important NOT to allow it. Only the mods and admins should have power to remove another persons' post. But if there is a way to get things back the way they used to be, that would be ideal.)

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 am

NobodyToYou wrote:I am not an admin (that sounds so weird!))
Yeah that sounds so weird. I think you were an admin all the time I've been on bus actually, at least whilst I was a mod...

You're right, it's a "strong want". It's not a necessity by any means. As in it would be nice if it worked, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work.

I'm probably railing against the lack of a delete button on bus because I really need an irl delete button right now. :roll: :omad: , but that's another story. I know it will get fixed when it happens. Just so long as I know it's been taken on board really, that's all I need to know. Bus-staff are good and get round to pretty much everything in the long term.

I can live with not being able to delete at the click of a button. Just thought people should know what's happening, and that I should raise my concerns.

Sarah
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:46 am

If you can work out a delete button for real life, I want one. I think I would use that a LOT. Maybe too much... I might end up with no life left at all, if I delete all the parts I don't like. Maybe there is wisdom in not having that option... but I still wish I could have it.

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:05 am

Yeah, I want one too. I think if there was one, bus would maybe be a much quieter place. :cry:

Sarah
Douglas Adams

Poppies
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Poppies » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:50 am

friarygirl wrote:
NobodyToYou wrote: Just so long as I know it's been taken on board really, that's all I need to know. Bus-staff are good and get round to pretty much everything in the long term.
I don't want to step on any Admin's toes by butting in here, but I just wanted to reassure you that this has been very much taken on board! :) As Prox said, it will take time to sort out, but it's being worked on! :)

I know what you mean about a real-life delete button.... That would be so helpful to me!!! :wink:

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 am

Thank you Poppies, and everyone. I know it will be fixed as soon as it can be.

Sarah
Douglas Adams

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:43 am

I got it back, I GOT IT BACK! The delete function, that is! Thank you whoever did that!

It's the first thing at the top of your post when you go to edit - top left-hand side, as I said. And now it's back again, so whoever did that good thing thank you very much. It's nice to be able to leave a discussion with your dignity intact sometimes - equally good to reserve the right to submit what you feel.

Thanks whoever fixed it. :D

Sarah
Douglas Adams

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:43 am

I got it back, I GOT IT BACK! The delete function, that is! Thank you whoever did that!

It's the first thing at the top of your post when you go to edit - top left-hand side, as I said to begin with. And now it's back again, so whoever did that good thing thank you very much. It's nice to be able to leave a discussion with your dignity intact sometimes - equally good to reserve the right to submit what you feel.

Thanks whoever fixed it. :D I'll try it again tonight to see if it still works.

Sarah
Douglas Adams

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:55 am

Nope, premature celebration. It worked before (and I DID see how to do it, I'm not being a useless techophobe, I did it just recently when I had the wherewithal to do it with), but it's gone again now.

I really needed to delete something tonight, not for me, for how someone else might feel. Could I do it? Could I hell. Please fix this.

Sarah
Douglas Adams

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Sarah, we are working on it, but it's still going to be a little while - we need deb for this.
After a brief discussion, we have *no idea* why your delete option came back again for a brief period - none of us did anything that could/should have caused that to happen.
That just makes the problem a bit worrying because for obvious reasons it's not a good thing for the board to be doing things without us knowing about it (especially not changing permissions).

I'll tell you what though, for the meantime, if there is something you really want deleted you can PM me about it, and I'll take care of it. I'm not here constantly, and I'm pretty busy IRL at the moment, but it only takes a moment to delete a post, so as long as you understand that I can't make any promises about when I'm here, I will delete them if I get a message from you, OK?

I do want to remind you of what NTY said earlier, though. This is a strong want, not a need. I know what it's like to want more control over things and not be able to have them, and we are trying to work out how to restore everyone's ability to delete posts, but this isn't an emergency, or a major board failing or malfunction.

:lgrnstar: prox. :grnstar:
[vetiver]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:39 am

Thanks for everything Prox. I guess as everything irl is so out of control at the mo (m-i-l dying in hospital, J having professional problems I can't talk about online) I'm probably just looking for some control, somewhere.

It's fine, and I can just leave dots if I can't delete. No worries, there are much bigger issues in all of our lives. :)

Sarah
Douglas Adams