How do you delete a post?

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

How do you delete a post?

Post by friarygirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:44 am

I know you can only delete if nobody's replied, but I can't even work out how to delete BEFORE anyone's replied. Help please.

Sarah
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable.
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams
Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak
:bfly: THE TIME TO TELL SOMEONE YOU CARE IS NOW :bfly:

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: How do you delete a post?

Post by ChaseThisLight » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 am

Not sure what theme you're using, but there should be a little box with an x in it in the lower right hand corner of your post.
Cuz' you know, I don't do sadness

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Subsilver I think, or at least that's what it was when I first joined. In the lower right hand corner of my posts I always have a little box with a red *!* in it, which is for reporting posts isn't it? I just used that a couple of days back so I know that one works. Even on edit, even when nobody's responded (because I know you can't delete after a response has been posted), I just can't find the delete button anymore. I have a feeling it used to be at the top left-hand of the thread you wanted to edit/delete, before or above all the things you can attach to your thread, but I can't find anything suitable there.

OK just tried it out and the only thing that shows up is the red *!*. On non-responded-to and replied-to posts equally.

It's not really a big issue, but it looks kind of lame if you have second thoughts about a post (which I often do, I've always been a big deleter because first thoughts aren't always best thoughts) and your post then reads "..." even if nobody has responded. That really doesn't look great. And I seem to have entirely lost my option to delete.

Sarah
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 am

just testing
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 am

nope, i cant do it either. from what i remember there was a box on the "edit post" page that said delete, but that seems to have gone now.
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Yup, it's really gone. I've looked and looked and I can't find how to delete any more. There used to be a place at the top of the thread I think when we first went to this new format, can't remember if before or after you hit *edit*, but it's not there now.

I can understand not being able to delete after people have replied to you, but it's frustrating to not be able to wipe the slate clean and rephrase your thoughts if it's a fairly new post. I'm looking forward to some ideas!

Sarah
Douglas Adams

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:42 am

*bump*. Still don't know how to delete a fresh post...
Douglas Adams

Poppies
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Poppies » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm afraid I've found the same problem in the past and didn't know how to solve it. I'll ask the Mods and Admins if they know. :)

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I don't have any answers, because only just having wandered back to BUS, I'm not familiar yet with the new stuff ... but in the meantime, you should still be able to edit the post. I know it's not that great to just have an empty post, but it's something until/unless the mods and admins can figure out whether or not you can delete.

:star: Prox. :grystar:
[who remembers this?]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:54 pm

This is really strange.

I tested both a post here and a new thread here, and I was able to delete both of them... I had a blue X button next to the red ! button.
I have no idea why yours isn't working, because I am pretty sure our settings should be the same. I don't know what is wrong, but it isn't a board-wide issue... it is something about specific accounts or groups, apparently.

Eisa
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by Eisa » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 pm

As far as I can tell, I can't delete anything either...or I'm just not getting it. :roll: That's interesting that some people can and some people can't, I wonder why that is...
We come in pieces. :pinkstar:

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."~Nietzsche

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

My Place
My PBH

BUS family:
Twin~Beasty
Elf Sib~Sprink
Fairy Mummy~Starry
Younger Sissy~Kate
Big Bruvver~Dan
Half-Sissy~Annabel
Cousin~Peggie
Aunt~Mande
Sprinkled Cupcake~Noldo

:heart: :1hug: :1soothe: :heart:

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:04 pm

No sorry NTY, NO blue X button. And that's weird as well because shortly after changing over to the new-style bus, my delete option was always at the TOP of my page, above all the weird icons you can stick onto posts. It's really driving me mad because I'm one of those who'd rather delete and then totally reconstruct a post than edit it (btw I have no problems with editing anything, it's just I HATE submitting a row of dots, it looks so lame, and I really CAN'T delete).

Can you guys check it out and get back to me?

Sarah
Douglas Adams

han
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by han » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 pm

its being discussed by the mods/admins about how to deal with it... we will come back to you

i wonder if NYT you have the delete button as you used to be an admin?

you could edit the original post and just put [deleted] until we find a better solution...

han x

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:46 am

han wrote:you could edit the original post and just put [deleted] until we find a better solution...
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, or going "..." - but honestly han, that just looks so LAME!

Sarah
Douglas Adams

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:09 am

Last edited by friarygirl on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Adams

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:04 pm

NTY, I am guessing your delete button does have something to do with having been an admin.
Sarah, in the meantime, since I'm not sure whether we're going to find a delete button for you, it's been suggested that you could report your post and ask for it to be deleted, or pm a mod in that forum or an admin. I know it's not ideal, but it's something.

:star: prox. :star:
[under glass]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Mine probably does, but it shouldn't.
My settings were supposed to match everyone elses... I tried to make them match when I left (an admin CAN deadmin themselves, by the way) but I only got one chance to get it right, because after I am not an admin, I don't have the power to change anything else.

Sorry I can't be more helpful... I have no idea why I can do that and you can't.

caged bird
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by caged bird » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:58 pm

nty do you have other buttons? from prox's hunting around on the control panel it seems strange that you'd have managed to somehow keep the buttons for deleting but not the other ones (have you got 4 buttons in the corner) also, can you do it in other forums? or is it only here?

basically the answer is that there's no delete function at the moment but we're having a discussion as to wether or not it's a good idea to put one in/how one would work.
so yeah until then just edit out everyhting in the post if you want it all gone, start again and ask one of us to delete the post if you need it gone
visit my website
My Place

Being almost devastated is horrible because it lingers. But total devastation brings a kind of peace. It lets you give up.
Thieves and Kings: Volume Two by Mark Oakly

The line between normal and crazy seemed impossibly thin. A person would have to be an expert tightrope walker in order not to fall.
Running with scissors - Augusten Burroughs

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:34 am

I have delete power over my own posts only if no one has replied. Also, I can edit mine but not anyone elses'.
The only other buttons I have are report and quote.

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Proximity wrote:NTY, I am guessing your delete button does have something to do with having been an admin.
Sarah, in the meantime, since I'm not sure whether we're going to find a delete button for you, it's been suggested that you could report your post and ask for it to be deleted, or pm a mod in that forum or an admin. I know it's not ideal, but it's something.
Yeah, magicmum's volunteered to be my official deleter via pm! And I guess if I rethink sooner than the 12-hour time-lag between me and her, I can report it. But still, that means sharing something I obviously didn't want to share with other people because it came out all wrong or for whatever reason - AND not being able to delete when I want to, which I've always been able to do in the past. But thanks, at least you're looking for a solution.

I think the last time this came up was just after we changed to the new format. And back then, the delete option was at the TOP of your post, above all the icons you can preface your post with. It's not there now though.

I do think it needs fixing soon though, I'm not the only member who's going to want to delete the occasional post WITHOUT leaving a trail of ".....'s" , maybe having to share a written faux pas with someone else, and feeling like a berk. I remember a few years back the "delete" function got lost, and quite a lot of members were not very happy. Not having modly powers myself any more, I can totally understand why. so it would be really lovely if someone could fix this pretty please.

Sarah
Douglas Adams