Internet connection issues. Heeeeelp.

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Internet connection issues. Heeeeelp.

Post by Green Beauty » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:09 pm

I’m connected to a wireless internet connection using a belkin usb receiver. The internet will be on, I will connect on my computer and will be able to surf the net, however when on a website it will work fine for viewing a few pages but then the internet will just stop working and I will be unable to get online for anything between 1 minute or multiple hours.

The internet is still accessible through other mediums, i.e. house laptop and my Nintendo wii – therefore it is not an issue with the service provider.

I doubt its an issue with the usb slot as I have my mouse in the same slot and that always works fine.

Posting on bus often shuts it down so I am unable to reply or make topics most of the time (even posting this shut it down).

I try reconnecting, sometimes it will say I am online, but Im still unable to get online.

Sometimes restarting my computer helps. Sometimes just leaving it helps, sometimes resetting the internet box thing helps, but all are very short term solutions (5-15 minutes) and i will still have issues with it turning off when browsing the web.

Help?! Any ideas?

Omnia vincit amor
Member of the Welcome wagon
Shh be quiet, You might piss somebody off
Proud member and loyal spoon of OATS - Oldies Against Text Speak
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Skipping and a jumping, In the misty morning fog with, Our hearts a thumpin' and you, My brown eyed girl

pinky
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by pinky » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 pm

hi Alex, when i first got my dsl, i was having the same problem, my isp told me
to return the internet box thingy, something was wrong with it...

plus i subscribed to my isp's internet security suite, firewall, virus scanner,
and anti-spyware protector because i also had a virus that was messing
with my ethernet connection and was making it not work all the time, my other
virus scanner didn't catch the virus at all... :roll:

the only way i was able to connect was through the usb instead of the
ethernet connection, since then i have had no more problems at all...now
my dsl, internet, and ethernet connection all work fine except for when my isp
goes whacky and everyone loses their service..

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:56 am

I'm thinking that your reciever is faulty.

Try hooking up your computer to the main house line if possible, and see if you experience any drop in activity. If you don't, it's the reciever. If you do, there's probably an issue with your computer. Try checking for virii or bad spyware.

Also, with the USB reciever, what do you use to connect to the Internet? The Windows Wireless Network thing, or the program that came with your card?

Sometimes it's better to disable the program and use the native Windows application, and sometimes it's not. If there's a wireless program that your ISP uses to connect to the internet with (i.e., my USB reciever has a program from my ISP that it uses to connect to the internet with), install and use that.

I don't have a Belkin card (I have a Netgear USB reciever, and another card I can't remember), but another thing I could suggest is turning off the Windows firewall, as it sometimes blocks wireless cards (good or bad) from accessing the Internet.

Does your computer have an inbuilt wireless card? Sometimes if you have two in succession one can lock the other out - this is what's happened with the USB wireless reciever I got from my ISP - it's locked my other card - which I could use at my parents' house - from recieving <i>any</i> signal at all.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Thank you both for responding, i don't think my parents would be too keen on sending back the box thing as it works perfectly fine for their laptop :(

I'm not very good at understanding all the techy stuff but i shall try turning off firewall and seeing if there is any spyware etc. on my computer and delete it.

Hopefully my brother will be back soon and he can sort it :roll:

Omnia vincit amor
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Skipping and a jumping, In the misty morning fog with, Our hearts a thumpin' and you, My brown eyed girl

Keith
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Keith » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:45 am

HI Green Beauty,

You said:

I doubt its an issue with the USB slot as I have my mouse in the same slot and that always works fine.
1. Do you have the Belkin wireless USB stick and the mouse plugged into the same USB slot via a USB hub?

2. Or did you mean that you have had both plugged into the same USB slot at different times

If the answer is yes to question number 1 then this may be the cause of your problem, try plugging the Belkin wireless USB stick into its own/separate USB slot on your lap top.

If the answer is yes to question number 2 then this would indicate a problem with your Belkin wireless USB stick.

Belkin are a very good make and they guarantee all their products for life from manufacturing defects, of course the guarantee would not apply if the reason your Belkin product did not work was down to end user miss use.

Have you tried checking the Belkin web site for updated drivers for your wireless USB stick? If not try checking for updates as this may fix your problem.

If you are not sure which drivers you may need then please post the type of Belkin wireless USB stick you have and the model number and I will look it up for you and post a link to the correct driver in this thread.

This may sound like a stupid question but did your lap top not come with in built wireless capabilities when your bought it?

If you are not sure if it did or not then please post the make and model number of your lap top and I will look it up for you and post the answer in this thread.

This is worth checking because if your lap top is already wireless enabled the use of the Belkin wireless USB stick may cause conflicts resulting in the symptoms you have described.

If all else fails then it may be time to buy a new Belkin wireless USB stick, you can pick a new one up for around £18 from PC World.

Take care, Keith

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:15 am

Hi Keith thanks for the input, much appreciated :)

Sorry for not being overly clear, i have both my mouse and the internet plugged into a usb port hub. The reason for using this port hub is because most of the usb ports on the computer no longer work so i am limited to just a few, but i will try to find one that is working to put the internet usb in it's own slot, as you suggested.

I can't seem to see any drivers to be updated, but i shall continue to look, i will have a browse through the support section as well to see if it is a common problem.

Regarding inbuilt wireless internet i don't have the fortune of having that, i use a desktop computer as opposed to a laptop, and this is about 10 years old :roll:

Thank you for the offers of help, i shall try and use today to fix the problem with the input ya'll have given. I'll be back to update..

Alex

Omnia vincit amor

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Well depending how far your computer is from the router...you could always get a long ethernet cord and have a wired connection.
Cuz' you know, I don't do sadness

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:29 pm

I don't want to tempt fate, but taking the internet stick out of the usb hub and placing it into it's own slot seems to have sorted out the issue (for now).

It it plays up again i will be back :roll:

Thanks for all taking the time.

Omnia vincit amor

pinky
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by pinky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:30 pm

i am glad that it is sorted out :)
welcome wagon member - member of OATS - oldies against text speak
you will always be remembered and missed
:pinkheart: 7.12.08 Carmen :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 1.16.11 Kalika :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 11.3.11 Yorkie :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 4.20.12 Dewkey :pinkheart:
the time to tell someone you care is now
:bcatsmile: SHACA :bcatsmile:

Keith
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Keith » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Green Beauty wrote:I don't want to tempt fate, but taking the internet stick out of the usb hub and placing it into it's own slot seems to have sorted out the issue (for now).

It it plays up again i will be back :roll:

Thanks for all taking the time.
Glad to hear that it is working again.

Take care, Keith