laptop RAM question

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

paperbackwriter
growing roots
growing roots

laptop RAM question

Post by paperbackwriter » Wed May 17, 2006 10:15 pm

my lappy has 2 RAM ports. It has a maximum RAM capacity of 1GB.

I just (well, 3 days ago) upgraded from 2x 128MB card, to 1 x 128MB and 1 x 256MB RAM cards.

Since when it has been giving off a hell of alot of heat. Generally eminating from the RAM portal. It's enough of a heat increase to worry me.

I'm guessing that 384MB of RAM just creates more heat that 256MB. But is there something I should check for? I removed both cards last night and checked they were installed properly, checked for dust etc... do RAM ports need to be equally divided (128/256 on each, rather than 128 on one and 256 on the other)? I doubt it, but...?

I've just bought a laptop fan cooling pad from ebay. But I'm going to swap back to my original RAM setup at the end of tonight, until I get the pad, at least.

Any ideas?

ChaseThisLight
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ChaseThisLight » Thu May 18, 2006 6:03 pm

I thought I read somewhere that they have to be equal or the heat distribution would be off...but I could be completely whacked too...
Cuz' you know, I don't do sadness

No one controls your destiny. Even at the very worst - there is always choice - Gregory Maguire Wicked

ChaseThisPhoto