avatar update: good news and bad

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Smeagol » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:45 pm

i made a mistake, one of those unix mistakes that's really easy to make and that most people have made at least once (usually only once, because it sucks so hard to make it).
Nope, I've made it multiple times, mostly because I've not yet deleted something really important. My favorite trick is to go up the history and press enter on "rm * -r" instead of whatever command I meant select. I never learn...

But I bet you'll think real careful for a while. :) Yay for getting some of them back.

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:28 pm

a couple of weeks ago, i used several tricky commands to move all files newer than a specific date to a subdirectory -- the idea was to make a tarball archive of the older files, move *it* to the directory with the newer files, then delete all the older files, move everything back from the subdirectory, and delete the subdirectory.

only when i got to the "delete all the older files" part, i somehow ended up typing "rm -r *".

(if you don't know unix: rm -r * means delete everything in this folder and every folder in it without exception and without asking me if i'm sure. if there were a similar command in windows and you did it in the c:\ folder, you would remove every file on that drive forever. isn't unix great?)

deb
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

angelalleya
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by angelalleya » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm one of the people who was using a public avatar that hasn't shown back up (or at least, not that I can see...). I've also noticed that a few other people who had ones from the angel galleries (that's where mine was from) seem to have lost theirs as well.

You said something about a database and maybe being able to track it down? I haven't changed mine, so is that at all possible still? I could make myself a new one or something, but that would just take too much effort :wink:

Totally understand, though. Can't even count the number of times I'vee screwed up like that. I almost deleted my school's yearbook the day before the deadline last year :oops:. Thank god we managed to get it back.
"Keep me up till five only because all your stars are out, and for no other reason." -JD Salinger, "Seymour - An Introduction"

wanna know more?
<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=95315">My place</a> (please feel free to read and reply)
<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/angelalleya">My LiveJournal</a>
(feel free to comment and request to be a friend!)
<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=91123">My poems</a>

*Hugs* for everyone and taken with much appreciation

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:08 am

sometimes i see mine (costum) sometimes i dont. however i can send it back to twitter mouse if needed

CicatrizedLilAngle
building community
building community

Post by CicatrizedLilAngle » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:37 am

aquana wrote:
CicatrizedLilAngle wrote:I couldn't find my nun! I looked all over, but didn't see her.

::cries::
I think it's in the fantasy_people folder, the first one. I think. O_o
Thank you! And to the other people who PMed me and let me know where she was.
And yes, I *am* an angle. Because angles can be obtuse. And angel seemed too much of a cliche.

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:08 am

there are some avatars that are there but aren't in the right case -- like instead of Green-Beauty.jpg it's in the directory as green-beauty.jpg. i'm putting that right tonight (and yeah, i know yours is okay, green beauty), so some stuff may reappear tonight.

deb
pllace

What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 am

okay, i think i've renamed everything to be the right file names, so if you hit refresh and don't see your avatar, let me know. there are a few categories that i think have been entirely lost, like star wars and harry potter.

now my arms are tired.

deb

ps -- angle, i moved your avatar to reserved8 since no one else was using it and you seem quite attached. :)
Last edited by sine nomine on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pllace

Jomomma
board admin
board admin

Post by Jomomma » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:03 am

<------------- Won't miss either of those :wink:
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Smeagol » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:55 pm

sine nomine wrote: (if you don't know unix: rm -r * means delete everything in this folder and every folder in it without exception and without asking me if i'm sure. if there were a similar command in windows and you did it in the c:\ folder, you would remove every file on that drive forever. isn't unix great?)

deb
In the light of your experiences I've now defined a shell function "rmr" which I use instead of "rm -r *". It does two things:
1. Doesn't let me do a recursive delete in my home directory on ny of my partitions.
2. Asks me if I'm really sure I want to do a recursive delete in the current working directory.

So, not good for bus, but I at least am learning from your mistake. :) Thanks for all your hard working restoring stuff, deb.

Gwylan

kcat
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by kcat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:24 pm

:( My old one is gone, and every time I pick a new one, it still doesn't show up! I am doomed to be avatar-less.
Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? --Rumi

Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately in love with suffering.-- Dostoevsky

I can't go on.
You must go on.
I'll go on. --Buddhist saying

*R*E*C*O*V*E*R*E*D*

Green Beauty
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Green Beauty » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks for all the lengths you have gone to, to try and correct the situation deb :)

Omnia vincit amor
Member of the Welcome wagon
Shh be quiet, You might piss somebody off
Proud member and loyal spoon of OATS - Oldies Against Text Speak
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Skipping and a jumping, In the misty morning fog with, Our hearts a thumpin' and you, My brown eyed girl

Jia
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Jia » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:33 pm

My avatar isn't back yet. Does that mean it won't be back? It was an angel of some kind (wings at elast) but I don't remember what gallery it was in.
It's okay... :redstar:

*I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me.*

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:49 pm

i'll make a separate post with a list of avatars that we've not regained and the people who were using them.

unfortunately, your av was in the faires_angels2 directory, and we haven't put that one together agian yet. you can pick another, or maybe do a google image search on medium-sized pictures of fairies (maybe, since that one was called sad fairy, searching on the terms sad and fairy?) and find one tha tyou can reserve as your own?

deb
pllace

Jia
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Jia » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:45 pm

Thanks for answering so soon! :) I'll look around a bit, see what I find. Thanks!
It's okay... :redstar:

*I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me.*

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:29 am

i've posted a separate list of all the avatars we haven't been able to restore yet (and may not ever be able to restore) along with the usernames of people who are using them.

deb
pllace

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 pm

Been meaning to change avatars for a bit now... this will just force me into action and get my butt into gear lol... Although... sort of liking the red cross... sort of symbolic atm I guess?!? Might keep red cross until I come up with something truly inspirational :lol:
<center>:purpheart: :blueheart: :purpstar: :bluestar: There is a solution to EVERY problem...:bluestar: :purpstar: :blueheart: :purpheart:</center>