Suggestion for new techy thing

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Dina
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Suggestion for new techy thing

Post by Dina » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:27 pm

I would enjoy a function where I could add "friends" and see them if they were online. And that one could choose to be viewable as online for friends even when choosing to be hidden on main. (But one would have to make an active choice to be viewable for each of the friends, and not everyone or none.)

Then it would be easy to keep track on friends, and talk with them here at BUS and one would not have to download msn or other boring programs.

The friends function would be good to find in private, and not to be shown for anyone when looking up someone. Only me can see my friends, you understand? Then it can never become a thing "Oh, that person got so many friends but I got none".

What do you think people?

Dina
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Dina » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:44 pm

Yeah I know there is such thing on Main, but since some people do want to be private but maybe would like to be viewable for a few friends this would be a good thing, and also to easily check upon friends.

I know Swedish boards where one can see if added friends on a private list are online and when they were online last time. I like it.

One apply to the other and ask to add her/him to the list, and if approve both get the other one as a "friend" on a list. A bus-companion to keep you company during the ride.

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:14 pm

Well, the thing to remember about the boards you're talking about is that they might run a totally different type of software for their message boards- perhaps a type that has the friends feature built in.

Dina
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Dina » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:37 pm

Maybe maybe.

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:31 pm

Is the folder containing the boards called phpBB ? If it is, it'll be the same software as this board. Like bus...

http://buslist.org/phpBB

Sends you to BUS. Is it like that?

Dina
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Dina » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:37 am

No it's not.

So everything on BUS has to already exist in this software, phpBB? There can never show up anything else? Bummer.

I've seen only one webboard in Sweden based on phpBB and that is another selfharm-board.

Ah, so this is when one use an already existing board and not create it oneself is it? (Now the thread transform itself into something else...) If I don't want to code it myself I can use a software, for instance phpBB? Is it right? (Sometimes I'm trying to learn something.) But then one is also quite restricted sometimes?

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:25 pm

You can add mods on to phpBB... but if the other boards aren't phpBB, then there is no guarantee there is a mod for phpBB at all. It's like trying to apply a patch for one game to a totally different game- it quite simply does nothing.

Sorry... not the best of explanations. I'm sleepy :tongue: