Apology Letter for Hacking

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

xanemicroyaltyx
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by xanemicroyaltyx » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:46 pm

*has nothing of great construction to say, just anger*

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Smeagol » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:40 pm

Silversan wrote: I'm sorry, but whoever hacked this board lacks a bit of common sense. If it ends up because it was "funny", then I fail to see the sense of humor is changing the title with attempted-l337 mixed in with an popular quote. (Which by the way, where did it come from? The "All your bases..." one.)
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/A/ ... [quote]all your base are belong to us

A declaration of victory or superiority. The phrase stems from a 1991 adaptation of Toaplan's “Zero Wing” shoot-'em-up arcade game for the Sega Genesis game console. A brief introduction was added to the opening screen, and it has what many consider to be the worst Japanese-to-English translation in video game history. The introduction shows the bridge of a starship in chaos as a Borg-like figure named CATS materializes and says, “How are you gentlemen!! All your base are belong to us.” [sic] In 2001, this amusing mistranslation spread virally through the Internet, bringing with it a slew of JPEGs and a movie of hacked photographs, each showing a street sign, store front, package label, etc. hacked to read “All your base are belong to us” or one of the other many supremely dopey lines from the game (such as “Somebody set up usthe bomb!!!” or “What happen?”). When these phrases are used properly, the overall effect is both screamingly funny and somewhat chilling, reminiscent of the B movie “They Live”.

The original has been generalized to “All your X are belong to us”, where X is filled in to connote a sinister takeover of some sort. Thus, “When Joe signed up for his new job at Yoyodyne, he had to sign a draconian NDA. It basically said: All your code are belong to us.” Has many of the connotations of “Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated” (see Borg). Considered silly, and most likely to be used by the type of person that finds Jeff K. hilarious.[/quote]
Act in such a way as to make yourself feel capable and effective

The change starts now.

If in doubt, don't

Hammy
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Hammy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:57 am

MarthaG, if you want to seem sincere, don't put apology in quatation marks. That is a real "smart" thing to do. :roll:
<center>Fear cannot touch me...
It can only taunt me,
it cannot take me,
just tell me where to go...
I can either follow,
or stay in my bed...
I can hold on to the
things that I know...
The dead stay dead,
they cannot walk.
The shadows are darkness.
And darkness can't talk.</center>

glass angel
honored elder
honored elder

Post by glass angel » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:58 pm

funny. everything's back to normal now except someone changed the 'appology' letter :lol:
"He loves you. You have so much."
"I know, and I see it all around me, but it stops at my skin. I can't let it inside. It's always been like that and it's always gonna be like that."
~Shortbus

My Place

blacktiger

Post by blacktiger » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:39 am

*deleted*
Last edited by blacktiger on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jomomma
board admin
board admin

Post by Jomomma » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:44 am

Let's stop now.

It is over and done with and we are all still here.

Let's drop in for now
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: