Apology Letter for Hacking

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

MarthaG
one of us
one of us

Post by MarthaG » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:37 am

Furthermore, I will have the hacker in person, register and write an apology thread. Im really sorry that this board had to go through all that.

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:18 am

i do not want that person on this board, and i have banned the school's ip range. however, i left my cell number with all the adults involved, and the sysadmin who is handling the situation has my email address. i don't know who you are, and i will not take your word for anything. if you want to reach me, your sysadmin has my number.

an apology is not enough.

deb
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

Slightly Crazy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Slightly Crazy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:48 am

pfft if that apology letter is genuine soudnsl ike they are more sorry for getting caught

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: Apology Letter for Hacking

Post by ben » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:45 am

MarthaG wrote:In case you did not read my post in the other thread, the student who hacked this forum was caught and suspended from school. I few minutes ago, I recived an "apology" note from the student. He seems really sorry that he did it and is scared speechless.

Here is the letter. It was addressed to me, but im sure you can figure it out.

"As you know, you caught me hacking that forum. Please forgive me! I didn't intend on doing much. I originally planned just to make a post as the admin saying that the forum was easy to hack and needed to be updated. But there were two others around me provoking me to do more. Afterwards, i felt really bad about doing it. I never want to see anything like this happen again. ever. Im truly sorry Bus forum and nomine. Please forgive me. From the bottom of my heart, im sorry."

He seems pretty sad about it. Maybe you guys should forgive him and continue on like nothing happened? I think he's learned his lesson.
1) Read it thanks Martha, still have no idea who you are.
Provide some credentials, since your email address is clearly a private one.

2)Suspended so soon?
this isn't a cinema, i will not voluntarily suspend my disbelief unless i see some decent proof. Ye gods how fast do the wheels of academia spin these days!

3)If you're a teacher, i'd guess you'd be literate and use decent punctuation.

4)He hacked it for his own amusement. People do not hack sites out of altruism, or indeed even concern for the users/owners of those sites.

But you've been told that already....
Last edited by ben on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silversan
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Silversan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:20 pm

I don't believe the part how the dude was worried about BUS being hacked or cracked. If it was in danger, they would be betters ways of informing this board of them. Not going, hacking/cracking into the fourm and messing around with it.
<b>marilyn, my bitterness, i've fallen to a stranger nightmare</b>

Twitter Mouse
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Twitter Mouse » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:17 pm

I agree, if this guy was at all "concerned" that we didn't have the patch, a simple polite email to an admin would have been appropriate.
Also, his letter doesn't sound like he sorry for what he did, he's probably just sorry that Deb could track him like she did and get him caught. (cuz Deb is awesome!)
And it's hey babe, with your guardian eyes so blue,
Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true,
I've been so far from here,
Far from your loving arms,
Now I'm back again, and babe it's gonna work out fine.

sassy koala
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by sassy koala » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:53 pm

what intrigues me is that when it happened I was on the chat and mentioned it. somebody on their said that the board was missing some sort of security patch or something.... which I find interesting that they would automatically jump to that. but... whatever. all's good now.

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:36 pm

I dunno how I feel about that apology letter. I guess I feel sorry that kid thought he had to do it. Was it really all just because of some patch? What the heck is he really that concerned, if he thought we needed that patch and was concerned or whatever why did he hack us, it's just such a stupid childish thing to do.

Again don't know how I feel, not really angry just amazed someone would do such a thing.
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!

kurdt_kobain
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by kurdt_kobain » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:03 am

I wish my english teacher had as bad grammar as you do, MarthaG.

Then I'd pass all my papers.
trying to follow in the footsteps of the masters,
but it's a lot harder than it looks because even though
they had the same size feet as us, they weren't looking
down the whole time while they walked to make sure
they were doing it right.
[story people]

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:57 am

welcome to bullshitsville, i guess.

i don't know. i hold hope but i do not believe.

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 am

What a bunch of shit...

Methinks that hacker is still trying to mess with our heads... and in some ways succeeding...
<center>:purpheart: :blueheart: :purpstar: :bluestar: There is a solution to EVERY problem...:bluestar: :purpstar: :blueheart: :purpheart:</center>

Alone
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by Alone » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:53 am

kurdt_kobain wrote:I wish my english teacher had as bad grammar as you do, MarthaG.

Then I'd pass all my papers.

haha

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:17 pm

Checking the access logs, I've discovered that MarthaG (or someone using the same static IP) first accessed the board on March 8, around 3.30 pm Pacific time. That's more than 20 hours before the defacement and more than a day before the account was registered. The person who came here as Martha and the person who defaced the board (if they are separate people) both first came to the board from the same link, a listing on some directory of phpbb sites. It's not a big directory and I've emailed the people running it asking them to take my board out of their directory.

On the basis of all that, it seems obvious to me that "MarthaG" is most likely the person who used the exploit and that s/he wanted to calm things down, not realizing that everything had already been reported in detail and that these further posts would also be reported. I'm banning Martha's IP as well.

deb
pllace

What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:29 pm

I thought they were the same person... guess 'they' could well be...

Can anything more be done other than just ban their access??? Can I swim my ass across the Pacific and kick some major butt???

Just thought I'd offer... :lol:
<center>:purpheart: :blueheart: :purpstar: :bluestar: There is a solution to EVERY problem...:bluestar: :purpstar: :blueheart: :purpheart:</center>

Silversan
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Silversan » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:35 am

I really think the person who did it, or if there is any more, lack a social life worse then the one I possess. From the "L337" to the "English Teacher" who lacks in the grammar department, and a note from a boy that lacks common sense.

I'm sorry, but whoever hacked this board lacks a bit of common sense. If it ends up because it was "funny", then I fail to see the sense of humor is changing the title with attempted-l337 mixed in with an popular quote. (Which by the way, where did it come from? The "All your bases..." one.)

And no insult to ones to have no social life.

silversan
<b>marilyn, my bitterness, i've fallen to a stranger nightmare</b>

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:10 am

I've received email from the sysadmin with the name of another person to contact about this. i'm going to email him the logs and information abotu "martha".

deb
pllace

Branden44
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Branden44 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:43 am

If anyone believes that 'apology letter'. I have some real nice land to sell you... :wink:

I personally doubt the kid is at all sorry for what he did, if anything he is just sorry that we didn't laugh at the 'joke' and move on. I am still livid about this. People use this site for emotional help and support in what can be dangerous situations. This isn't a forum for a video game or something. :x
The greatest victory is to learn from defeat.
--Unknown
My Barracks Replies Welcome

:oZombie Branden

:snail: :180_days_si_free:

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:47 am

Thanks for following this up for us Deb... I for one appreciate the effort you are putting into this, and I'm pretty sure everyone else around here does too...

:1flwrs: Thanks

Kasie

GLaDOS
ticket inspector
ticket inspector

Post by GLaDOS » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:17 am

Apology letter my @$$.

Eh... I never understood people like these... why does someone enjoy hurting others...? Oh well...
This was a triumph.

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:12 pm

Silversan wrote:the "English Teacher" who lacks in the grammar department
Just for the record, I don't think it said anywhere that 'Martha' was even a teacher, let alone an English teacher...