KILL watched-topics-email-notification?

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

KILL watched-topics-email-notification?

Post by Proximity » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:52 am

I was wondering if there was any way that I have missed to NOT get email notification for watched topics?
I thought the function would be useful for me to keep track of things, but especially if I put something that gets a lot of replies in the watched topics, my inbox gets flooded.

I just want to use it as like a quick-list of topics I'm keeping track of.. :roll: not get an email every time they're posted on...

:star: prox. :star:
[dry the rain]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:37 am

I really have no idea, but I don't think that would be possible. The feature was designed to E-Mail you whenever someone posted in the thread, and the feature that lets you view the topics was added as a modification afterwards. So, if you were to turn off E-Mail notification, you'd (in theory) be completely undoing the entire point, since the feature that views the watched topics was added afterwards.

Still, it'd be good if you could. And do bear in mind I really have no idea whether you can do it or not :tongue:

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:39 am

Are the notifications different enough from things you'd get as an admin to filter them straight to trash ?

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:26 am

mallie wrote:Are the notifications different enough from things you'd get as an admin to filter them straight to trash ?
reported posts send a pm to the admins/mods whoever's listed on that forum. so I can pick those up in my pm inbox.
I also have email notification of pms, and so I can see when I've gotten a pm that way. reported posts actually look different, so I can tell if the email is from an RP or something else.
the topic alert thing just sends me an email, no pm.
I have my email here as my yahoo account, and it filters about half of everything into my bulk mail inbox and half into the normal inbox, with no apparent rhyme or reason, which isn't too bad, I just glance through, have to come here to deal with things, anyhow.
but I really don't want the notifications on watched topics.

but the watched topics function is just too helpful for me not to use it.
I guess I could try to figure out how to filter them to the trash, but they all come from the same place, I think. :roll: so I'd give up email notification of pms AND email notification of watched topics..

ehhhh.

:redstar: prox. :redstar:
[AHHH]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:20 pm

does yahoo let you filter on subject lines?
pllace

[blockquote]Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them,
turn your back and run, then that is frightening. -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Why are we so frightened of what is?
What is the good of running away if whatever we are is always there? -- Krishnamurti[/blockquote]