Error message

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Error message

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:54 pm

Have no clue whether this is important or what, but I just got this error message:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 354571 bytes) in /var/www/busmail.org/phpBB/search.php on line 427

Lyndsie
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Lyndsie » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:01 pm

I got that like the other day or something. I don't think it's important. You don't have to take my advice cause i'm no computer expert.

Electric Sunday
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by Electric Sunday » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:41 pm

By Default PHP allows a maximum memory size of 8 Megs. If you are accessing a PHP file that requires a lot of memory, or is processing a file greater than 8 Megs, this error could occur. You can check the maximum memory size your php scripts can use by following this knowledgebase article, and look for the setting "memory_limit".

In order to change this limit, you will need to edit the php.ini settings file on your server. Look at the location of this file on your server from the phpinfo command.

1. Log into your server as the "root" user.

2. Edit the file. For example, "pico /etc/php.ini"

3. Find / Replace the setting for memory_limit. By default it will say "8M" which stands for 8 Megs (or 8388608 bytes). Increasing this to a size of 32M (32 Megs) is probably realistic; if a script still has problems it probably has internal programming issues.

4. Save and close the file.

5. Restart the web server to apply changes to php.ini.

6. Verify the phpinfo() page to make sure the changes have been applied to your PHP installation.
*shrugs* I have no idea what that means, but it seems like an answer :wink:
' "Why" is the only question that bothers people enough to have a letter of the alphabet named after it. ' [Douglas Adams]