new forum announcement

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

new forum announcement

Post by sine nomine » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:39 pm

the new forum is called "before and after". it's a serious place for doing work on urges and slips.

fromt he welcome post:

This is an experiment in helping people dealing their urges to self-harm and deal with their feelings after a slip.

Each thread in this forum will be one person's exploration of either their current urges and how they're trying to cope, or of a recent slip and how they are going to deal with it. I'm going to post a series of questions you can use as a guide for starting a thread. In each thread, the other people in the forum can give feedback and offer suggestions.

Rules for posting:
No off-topic posts are allowed. Don't start a thread unless you're willing to do the work involved in really looking at what's going on. No graphic descriptions of what you've done to yourself are allowed; we are focusing on choices and feelings here.

Rules for replying to a thread:
No blaming or invalidation. Try not to give direct advice; ask questions and help the other person understand more of what they're talking about. Talk about what's helped you or worked for you in the past. Respect the struggles of others. Don't engage in topic drift or go wandering off topic.

To get posting access, click on usergroups above and join the before and after group. If you violate the rules of the forum, you may lose posting access until the forum moderators are convinced you understand why your posting access was taken away and that you will not repeat the mistakes.

This forum can be read by all but can only be posted in by people who are in the before and after usergroup.

deb

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:51 pm

This forum and the idea behind it seems extremely interesting.... it's it sort of like a variation on a place thread? One thread per person?

Well, I'm most certainly going to be keeping my eye on that forum. Thanks Deb. :)

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:18 pm

That looks like a cool Idea, I like it, and have put my name in.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:22 pm

more like one thread per incident -- per urge or slip.

you post about your urge or your slip, and people post in response, asking mroe questions or offering suggestions/insights. the questions are just to help you get started posting about it.

the purpose of the forum is to explore the feelings behind the urges and slips and to troubleshoot them --- figure out how to deal with them better. it's not really for posts where you just want reassurance after a slip or support fighting an urge (which are valid things to want) . it's for wanting to do work on what's behind the urges and slips, to get help and support dealing with a specific incident. so each thread is an incident.

deb

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:23 pm

As ever, nice thinking Deb. :)

Chrystal
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by Chrystal » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:39 pm

thank you deb...

I joined the usergroup but it says that only people with special access can post.

Is this a temporary stage or do I do something else?

Thanks
chrystalxx
Tashi my little :1dog: check out my avatar! :)

Sobriety Date : 8August 2004
SI-free Date: Sometime October 2005!!! :)

silent_scream
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by silent_scream » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:21 am

Chrystal wrote:thank you deb...

I joined the usergroup but it says that only people with special access can post.

Is this a temporary stage or do I do something else?

Thanks
chrystalxx
I think once you are accepted in to the group (by an deb or another admin) then you can post) .
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:25 am

Yeah, that's the way it worked for me at least. :)

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:42 am

once you apply to the group, you have to be added -- it could take a few hours. after that, you should be able to post. i've added you, so if you still can't post let me know.

deb

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:27 am

i guess i'm just wondering... why it was felt that an entire new forum was needed. rather than suggesting that as one use of the 'life after' board. or even the 'coping' board...

sine nomine
head llama
head llama

Post by sine nomine » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:27 am

becuase i didn't want the specific threads on these thigns to get lost among other threads. i thought about making it part of coping, and if there were a way to do sub-boards i would have done that. but i wanted to try this way of doing it.

deb

EllemyshShade
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by EllemyshShade » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:29 pm

Thank you, Deb. :heart:
:bluestar: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. "

J. Krishnamurti :bluestar:

littlethings
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by littlethings » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:52 pm

thanks, I think this is a really good idea :)

JoAnna

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:50 am

*nods* it'd suck for people to really be working through si incidents & have the threads get lost. on main or place or distraction boards i'd agree that it'd be a probable outcome.
life after & coping neither are boards that are that active.
personally i'd like to see those boards become more used. esp the life after one. i think one way to make that happen would be to suggest ideas for how people could use those boards effectively... like working through si incidents.
i guess it just seems to me that creating new & even more specific forums... creates more splits. there's a handful of people who visit the coping board. a different handful who visit life after. it makes it more difficult to get to know people.
it makes things feel less cohesive to me.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:39 pm

i think one way to make that happen would be to suggest ideas for how people could use those boards effectively...
http://busmail.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... 91#1047291

Like this..?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

DeirYassin
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by DeirYassin » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:12 pm

plantt wrote:*nods* it'd suck for people to really be working through si incidents & have the threads get lost. on main or place or distraction boards i'd agree that it'd be a probable outcome.
life after & coping neither are boards that are that active.
personally i'd like to see those boards become more used. esp the life after one. i think one way to make that happen would be to suggest ideas for how people could use those boards effectively... like working through si incidents.
i guess it just seems to me that creating new & even more specific forums... creates more splits. there's a handful of people who visit the coping board. a different handful who visit life after. it makes it more difficult to get to know people.
it makes things feel less cohesive to me.
I agree with you plant.
However I have to say that in every boards which I've visited there is usually one "main" board which gets used the most and also other boards. Only when there is off-topic board usually it can somehow compete in posts with main boards. However other on-topic forums gets used less, and even some posts which should go to them goes to main board instead. Like for example I know boards about aviation, there are main moard about "Civil Aviation", then separate boards for technical things of planes and such. However many times things which should go tho these boards goes to main one since it is more popular. Not sure how can this be changed, but it should in my opinion - otherwise other forums looses their meaning. Like for example in BUS many people when they feels bad and about to cut posts not in Coping but main board instead and such.

Deir Yassin
All humans are born evil and it is a matter of government to change them.

snowangel_03
my other car is a bus
my other car is a bus

Post by snowangel_03 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:45 pm

Sounds like a great idea :)
> Give SnowAngel HUGS <
:tslug: Last SI: -- Image

> My Sigillum Diaboli - Read 1stPost <

KLove24's twin | Owns ultimate starshine | Haven's special RW buddy
Oftentimes all we need is a thought or a message to help us see another side to the problem,
or just some hope that life will be better - magicmum

Hugs & PM's are fine
The Truth that can set Souls Free is Buried within Sweet Pandemonium
To cry is to know that you're alive

Dungeon_Lilly
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by Dungeon_Lilly » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 am

That sounds great i'm sure it will be really useful

Danke x
<center>

I'm all lost in the supermarket