who's online link

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Kaz
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

who's online link

Post by Kaz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:04 pm

You know when you click on the who's online link on the main page and it shows where members and guests are? I was being nosey on there today and it said that one of the guests was in the place forum... how is that possible?

I did wonder if it could be that they're the hidden members, but there were only 6 guests listed and 8 hidden members were online. :-?
"One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory" - Rita Mae Brown -

"Usefulness is not impaired by imperfection - you can drink from a chipped cup" - Greta K. Nagel -

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:51 pm

There was a flaw in a UBB forum I used to go on.... there was a moderators forum and since it was UBB you couldn't hide it, only restrict access. So, once I clicked on it to see if I'd get access (Always testing software's limits, moi) and it said "Access denied" but I showed up on the "Current browsing this forum:" section, and got an E-Mail off the site owner telling me...

Anyway, if you give a member a direct link to place it asks them to log on. If they don't, they might show up as viewing the forum..... I don't know. Just a guess. :)

Proximity
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Proximity » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:20 pm

... wow. I had just written this confused response asking how you knew where guests were browsing .. but went back to the index to explore a bit before posting ...
geez.
I'd never realized that the row headder things were links! :roll:
hence had _never_ clicked on "who's online" or any of the other ones etiher.
("who's online" is by far most interesting, being as the others just seem to show the availble forums, but only in that category...)

I guess you learn something new every day. ;)

all that said, I've got no ideas for answers to your question. Does seem weird, though..

:star: prox. :star:
[a perfect circle]
Amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still forever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.
Moby Dick
:grystar: :grystar: :grystar:
in recovery

Worthless
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Worthless » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:51 am

Yep, Deskana's right. On the phpBB forum I remember reading a while back that if you got to the 'access denied' page, it would show up as if you were browsing that forum.

L
<CENTER> I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live

The plastic face forced to portray all the insides left cold and grey

My Website

My DeviantArt Page
</CENTER>

Kaz
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaz » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:46 am

Ah, I see... thank you, my paranoid little self was worrying there (irrationally, I know). :roll:

Prox, the only reason I knew was because in a reply to a post somewhere someone had mentioned it, so I had to go try it... but I thought the person who'd written it was you... so it confused the hell out of me to read what you'd just written here! :oops:
"One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory" - Rita Mae Brown -

"Usefulness is not impaired by imperfection - you can drink from a chipped cup" - Greta K. Nagel -

guest11
staff member emeritus
staff member emeritus

Post by guest11 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:23 pm

And how come all the guests are "former members" too?

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:07 pm

because of a previous patch that got put on ages ago
"Knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and god was not there.The cold,suffocating dark goes on forever,and we are alone.Live our lives, lacking anything better to do.Devise reason later.Born from oblivion;bear children,hellbound as ourselves;go into oblivion.There is nothing else.Existence is random.Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long.No meaning save what we choose to impose."