after

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

longlost-hope
building community
building community

after

Post by longlost-hope » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:19 pm

have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.

Yes it's sorted

what had happened just before?

I was getting ready to go to the cinema and it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't REALLY want to go because I was going to have to be happy, so I cut to get through it.

what were you thinking and feeling?

I think that's already been answered

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?

I cut because I didnt really want to go out and also because the guy I fancied was going out with my now best friend, she beat me to it. And I was like, thats it!

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.

Um I think it was the build up of moving to uni, settling in, trying to find friends, finding friends, finding a guy that i liked who liked me but he chose my best friend. And that night, i cant remember, i was in too good a mood I think.

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?

Yeah I havent slept properly since I've been here, that can be solved by less going out and getting a routine!

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?

Ive been writing in my diary a lot but it wasnt enough.

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?

Cross stitch sewing takes my mind off EVERYTHING!

name at least two things you will do to help yourself
remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.

Im addicted to sewing anyway and talking helps, a lot. Ive been told to phone my friend.

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?

Its temporarily resolved. I think I will always be slightly jealous of those two, at least till I find my own guy.

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?

Im very close to that situation now but I guess I just have to hold it together and write in my diary, have an early night.

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.

Writing in my diary stating how im feeling
Read a book, at least a chapter
Phone/talk to lisa

About Opportunities to SI

What made that opportunity more appealing than any other?

I had ten minutes to spare, I didnt know what to do, i was hating myself, so i cut

Did you make an opportunity or was it there for the taking?

It was there for the taking

What would you have done if there was no opportunity, how would you have handled your urge?

Im not sure actually, i felt quite bad

If there had been no opportunity would your urge to self-harm have increased or decreased?

increased

What consitutes opportunity for you? Being alone? having new tools? waiting for the right feeling?

Being alone, i had ten minutes till i had to go anywhere

If your opportunties were taken away, how would you feel?

Angry

Poppies
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: after

Post by Poppies » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here....
why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?

I cut because I didnt really want to go out and also because the guy I fancied was going out with my now best friend, she beat me to it. And I was like, thats it!
I'm sorry, that sounds a sucky situation!
were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?

Yeah I havent slept properly since I've been here, that can be solved by less going out and getting a routine!
I find my emotions are affected greatly by lack of sleep! :wink:
in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?

Cross stitch sewing takes my mind off EVERYTHING!
I'm glad you have a hobby that absorbs you!
name at least two things you will do to help yourself
remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.

Im addicted to sewing anyway and talking helps, a lot. Ive been told to phone my friend.
That sounds good!
how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?

Its temporarily resolved. I think I will always be slightly jealous of those two, at least till I find my own guy.
are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?

Im very close to that situation now but I guess I just have to hold it together and write in my diary, have an early night.
Can you do something nice and relaxing just for you... a soothing bath... paint your nails.... just a bit of 'you' time...?
what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.

Writing in my diary stating how im feeling
Read a book, at least a chapter
Phone/talk to lisa
That's good - be gentle on yourself! :wink: