perennial before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

cb_47
settling in
settling in

perennial before

Post by cb_47 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 am

I'm finally to a point where my first reaction to negative emotions is not cutting. Well... mostly. Anyway. However, I find myself frequently in a situation that makes me want to cut. I work retail, and a large portion of my job is opening up new product and breaking down cardboard. That means I spend way too much time with a tool in my hand, and it's just... stressful. I just want to cut so I can get it over with and not think about it anymore. Wow... didn't even realize I was feeling that strongly about it until I said it...

Here's the thing: Logically, I know that is the stupidest thing I have ever said, or pretty close. I know it so well that answering all the questions on the list probably won't help me. But I can't think of a good coping mechanism at work.

Help?
SI-free since 3/13/05

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaelyn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:52 am

Can you get something else to do at work?
So you don't have to have a tool in your hand all day long?

Okay, odd question, is the tool similar/the same to what you used to cut with?
Does it help to try to think of some way to discern between "SI tool" and "tool-at-job"...
something that doesn't make the link between SI and the tool at your job?

hope you will find some way to cope with it... stress is not good.
my place (visitors welcome)
fall seven times, stand up eight

Hope blooms, even in the darkest of places

cb_47
settling in
settling in

Post by cb_47 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:24 pm

Unfortunately, it's the exact same tool, with the very minor exception of not being mine. Also, it's a small store--usually only 1 or 2 people there at once. Believe me, I've thought of telling them I can't do it, but that would bring up more questions than I'm willing to deal with.
SI-free since 3/13/05

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaelyn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:46 pm

I can imagine you don't want to bring that up..

can you open the products with another kind of tool, one that is not so strongly linked to your SI?
(or do you use it to break down the cardboard? well, same question in that case)

cb_47
settling in
settling in

Post by cb_47 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:56 am

I'll see what I can't dig up. I came way too close tonight, I honestly don't think I'll make it if I have to go through two more months of this.
SI-free since 3/13/05

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaelyn » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:25 am

I hope you manage to find something :grnstar:
take care