after :(

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

singo
creating your space
creating your space

after :(

Post by singo » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:42 pm

have you taken care of your physiacl wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait. yes

what had happened just before?
I had said goodbye to Ben, and walked up to the Library

what were you thinking and feeling?
I was feeling anxious and unstable

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was teh final straw? what was it?
there was no event in particular, just wanted to get rid of the feelings of anxiety i'd had all day

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events thatled up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decisiona nd not arrived at the final straw.
I could have gone home, that could have helped, or could have made things worse due to greater availability of tools. I could have gone to sickbay at school or somewhere quiet and done some breathing exercises to get rid of my anxiety, or I could've talked to my pe teacher

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
I didn't get much sleep last night, but I don't think that was a defining factor in anything

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
stupidly, i didn't try any other coping mechanisms. I really regret that now

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
yes, the breathing exercises or talking to my pe teacher

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.
I am going to make a list of coping methods that offer a variety of ways to cope when I'm not at home.

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
unresolved, will talk to my T about it on Tuesday. I could probably identify the situation as anxiety

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
yes, I am. I will recognise it the way i usually do, but instead of waithing for my anxiety to get worse, I will try to stop it from getting that bad.

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
*breathing exercises
*getting out of the stressful situation that I am in. Making an excuse to leave and go somewhere quiet or
*talk to someone about how I am feeling, ask for comfort from those close to me.
I need
Somewhere
To begin
Somebody gotta let me in
Bless my Soul -- Powderfinger

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:17 pm

I could have gone home, that could have helped, or could have made things worse due to greater availability of tools. I could have gone to sickbay at school or somewhere quiet and done some breathing exercises to get rid of my anxiety, or I could've talked to my pe teacher
why did you decide to not use those at the time?

how do you deal with your anxiety?
what are things you could work towards doing in terms of dealing with anxiety?
:grnstar: