before..

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

silenceBROKEN
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

before..

Post by silenceBROKEN » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:14 pm

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
my racing thoughts will stop, i'll be relaxed, calm able to focus. the situation in itself will go away and be resolved.

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
it will bring peace, state of mind, calmness, relief, joy, and minimal guilt. it will take away the manicness and the racing thoughts.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
i want to be able to get away from self injury in the long run. but today, at this moment, i think i need it. :roll: i guess injuring will only get me further away.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then? the relief it brings will last for five mintues, then guilt, then shame, and then relief when i see the scar. after wards, i'll clean myself up and prepare to go to the hospital, as per the agreement made with my therapist and my parents.

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then? i could stay on BUS and bullshit, like i've been doing all day, until my pdoc appointment in two hours. then i'm going to practice, and afterwards, i guess i'll see how i feel then.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
both ways i'll feel like shit, either because i cut or because i didn't. actually, in my twisted mind, i see cutting as the better option right now.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
i don't know. :(
:cystar: I want life in every word to the extent that it's absurd. :cystar:

SI FREE SINCE FEBRUARY 27, 2008.
one slip in November 1010.

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:29 pm

want to be able to get away from self injury in the long run. i guess injuring will only get me further away
*nods*

sometimes for me... it's helpful to remember that si can feel like a 'need'... because i used it as such a 'coverall' solution for so long... the more you act on something the more it seems like a 'need'.

i think it's good that you can remember that in the long run you don't want to use si & that acting on the urge now will keep you further from that goal. not that it'd make it impossible... but it'd take longer for you to get to that goal.
until my pdoc appointment in two hours. then i'm going to practice, and afterwards, i guess i'll see how i feel then
so take it a bit at a time... hang in for 2 hours... only 2... use the list of distractions on the coping board... play games...
i see cutting as the better option right now.
i can understand that it would be quicker & easier for now... yet it will keep you further away from your ultimate goal...
what reasons do you have for viewing it as the better option?