after

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

punkangel
settling in
settling in

after

Post by punkangel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:05 am

what had happened just before?

i had just got back from work and was talking to a friend

what were you thinking and feeling?

i was feeling paranoid and like something terrible was about to happen

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it?

every noise i heard outiside or in my house sent me into panic attacks and i was freaking out so I felt if I cut it i would calm down

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events that led up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decision and not arrived at the final straw.

it had been building for a few weeks and nothing was changing or getting better...i don't know what i could have done to stop the panic attacks other than mabye talking to a T

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?

no although possibly lack of sleep i have been having insomnia but my parents wont let me go on sleeping pills and I have tried everything.

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?

i was talking to friends and i tried to text my boyfriend but he wasn't awake. I tried listenning to music and splasing my face with water but nothing took away the urge.

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?

no i am still just as confused

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.

tell my emergancy friend the methods so she can remind me when i am in a bad place

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?

it doesnt feel like anything has changed the only thing i can think of is to talk to a professional

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?

i am very likely to be there again it happens every night and is there now again....i recognize it by a tightening in my chest and feeling like there is something deeply wrong

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.

i will call a friend
i will put on comforting music
i will write
hugs and PMs always welcome!!!
<3 Emilie

"symbols of the fight to stay alive"

:1_year_si_free:

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:02 am

Although you slipped up, it's good that you noticed what it was, why it happened and then giving yourself methods on ensuring such situations can be dealt with better. It's also great that you have that friend you can talk to in an emergency, that's great :D

:redstar: Jason :redstar:
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)