before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

brknflight
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

before

Post by brknflight » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:53 am

* how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

The situation will stay the same but I'll feel better facing it. Less stress more in control.

* what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

Cutting will loosen up all my pent up anxiety for a while, let me feel like I can cope with life a bit better. It will take me away from all this BS for a while where I can just be me and just hurt. It will give me a physical hurt instead of an emotional hurt- something to say this is how I feel.

* how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

I want to feel whole, competent. I want to be content if not peaceful. It will bring me closer tonight but tomorrow it will be just another failure just another crisis to have to deal with.

* if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

It will last until I stop bleeding, until I am bandaged up. Afterward the guilt will come in I'll have to worry about scars.

* what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I could take a hot shower and just soak in it. That will last until the shower is done. Afterwards I can try to go to bed. Maybe read.

* how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

Tomorrow I'll feel more burdened with my new scars if I cut but feel better able to deal with life for a while. If I don't cut I'll have all the same stress and no better handle on it. I feel like I'm going downhill fast and cutting will temporarily stop that descent(until it starts again, that is). If I don't cut I'll still be going downhill. I'll still have all my stresses.

* what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I really want to cut. I can honor that instinct by not cutting and just taking a shower and going to bed.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer

* Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

I feel like I was dismissed today (twice) told what I was feeling wasn't what I was supposed to feel. I've been so fearful lately. I'm having nightmares and panic attacks in the day time. I keep on thinking my Dad is going to die and everyone tells me not to think that. I keep on hurting and more stresses just keep piling up. I had a bad experience with my neighbor which made me feel like and idiot and when I finally opened up to my dad, he just dismissed me.

* Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

Somewhat. I've been at this level of stress before but different circumstances. I cut then to feel a temporary relieve before the world kicked back again. Eventually I cut so much I was hospitalized.

* What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

I've been staying at my desk surfing the internet and not getting up to SI. I can take that shower and try to read. I'm afraid that I'll do that and still need to cut. Then I will have failed twice.

* How do I feel right now?

Twitchy. My skin itches where I want to cut. I can feel another panic attack coming on soon it's hard to breathe.

* How will I feel when I am hurting myself?

Peaceful, detached.

* How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?

I will feel both better and worse. I will feel better in control for a while and a bit more calm but I will also feel guilty for cutting and have another stress (my wound) to take care of.

* Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?

I can't avoid the major stressor. I don't know how to deal with it better than I already am.

* Do I need to hurt myself?

I'm going to log off and take a shower but I still feel like I need to cut. It's so hard right now.

sixtyfoothigh
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: before

Post by sixtyfoothigh » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 am

brknflight wrote:* What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

I've been staying at my desk surfing the internet and not getting up to SI. I can take that shower and try to read. I'm afraid that I'll do that and still need to cut. Then I will have failed twice.
You won't have failed twice... choosing to do something to fight the urge is a success even if you still want to SI afterwards.

S x
βλεπομεν γαρ αρτι δι εσοπτρου εν αινιγματι
The ultimate FREECELL THREAD
The FirePlace