before (...utter stupidity)

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

before (...utter stupidity)

Post by Roxi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

the situation will be the same (as they always stay)
    I will feel triumphant, in control and smug
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

It will make things worse in the long run - won't bring much. It would be a tupid impulsive thing to do.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

I want to know that I have dealt effectively with situations....so no, hurting myself will not bring me closer to that
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

It will last until tomorrow ...when I have therapy and will have to explain relapsing over something rather insignificant
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I could go study and then go to bed
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

I will feel guilty if I hurt myself and very embarrassed. If I study I will still feel the way I do now , though I won't have to deal with the consequenses of Siing
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I want to feel less alone and cared for. I want to feel safe ans secure. I don't know what else to do - curl up in bed perhaps

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

A stupid boy (<--- yes, I am aware that this is utterly ridiculous)
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

No.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

sent a friend a text, posted on bus, got something to drink, - I can tidy my room, study, and/ or go to sleep
  • How do I feel right now?

I feel hurt and sad and angry
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?

happy and relieved
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?

afterwards I will blame others for it and refuse to take responsibilty , I will try to justify it - tomorrow and will be overcome with shame and guilt
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?

ummm...refrain from all contact with the opposite sex ? no...not feasible
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

No

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:49 pm

A stupid boy (<--- yes, I am aware that this is utterly ridiculous)
Not ridiculous, just human. Much of the world's grief is over stupid boys/girls. Just the nature of life. I hope you are able to get through these urges.

Sleep is good, I find that urges often disappate by morning.
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank