Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

morning-glory
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Before

Post by morning-glory » Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 am

How will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

If I hurt myself I know for a brief time I will feel more in control and maybe a little less frustrated. However if my parents find out that I hurt myself it will just make things worse. I know I'll get lectured about how I am just self harming for attention and that I just don't want to be responsible for my behaviour because I am resorting to self harm.

What will hurting myself bring to the situation? What will it take away from the situation?

If I hurt myself it will bring a little bit of relief from stress I am feeling right now and a sense of control. It would make me feel like I could still feel free to express myself somewhere even if that somewhere isn't at home. It would make me feel like I still had something in my life that was a secret, something that was my own and was private.
But by doing so I would hurt myself both physically and emotionally at the same time. By starting to self harm again I know I would be opening up the door to doing it as a habit again. The urges would become harder to resist as a result in the future and I would have to go back to trying to hide my scars and wounds. I know I would be ashamed but yet at the same time definate.

How do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

I want to feel respected and free to be myself without getting critized or lectured whenever I make a mistake. I want to have fun with my mom instead of always taking about finding all the ways to try and make myself perfectly physcially healthy. I want my privacy to be respected. I want the freedom to make my own decisions about how I take care of myself and how I deal with the challenges that come my way. I want to be respected in those decisions. I don't want to keep walking away resentful every time I talk to my mom. :cry:

I don't know if hurting myself will take my closer or further away from how I want to feel in the future. It could end up taking me further away if my mom finds out that I self harmed cause then she will be watching me even closer then she is now and analyzing me. But it could also temporarily take me closer because I would have a way to at least maintain a little bit of my privacy and a way to express all the emotions I fear expressing around my mom.

If hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

The relief probably won't last long maybe a day if I'm lucky. :-? The emotions I am feeling right now are just to strong in order to be satisfied and calmed by only self harming once. I probably will end up self harming again later if I do it now.

What is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? How will it change the situation i'm in? How long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I can write how I am feeling in a journal, pray, go to bed and try and sleep the pain away and then go and look at my finances and set up a time to talk to my spiritual director and some other wise people I know. None of those may change the situation directly but they might make it easier to bear if I did them. That might even reveal another option that I could do instead of the one I am faced with now.

How will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? How will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

If I hurt myself tonight I know I will feel ashamed and yet comforted at the same time. I will feel like I have gained back some control over my independence as a young adult verses feeling like my parents are the ones making the decisions for me.

But if I do the other option then tomorrow I will not feel ashamed. I might feel emotionally drained and still frustrated and stressed but I will also feel proud of myself for trying to work things out in a positive way.

What do i really want to do right now? How can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I still want to self harm. :cry: But I think I am going to make a deal with myself instead. The deal is this, I first have to do the things I mentioned above to try and solve the situation and then after that if I still feel this way I will call a crisis line. And then if that doesn't work I will self harm.

Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

I feel invaded right now. I feel like I have no privacy with from my mom. I feel like I have been treated like a child instead of a adult lately and it bothers me. I am afraid and I don't want to move home because I am afraid that I won't be able to express myself when I am happy or frustrated or sad. I feel like I am being sentenced to a emotional cage and I just don't feel like I have the strength to bear it. I am angery and disappointed that I don't feel free to be myself in my family ( or at least with my mom). I am sad that my mom and I can't seem to ever resolve any of the things we talk about satisfactorily. I am sad that I can't just enjoy her and her me instead of talking about serious things all the time. As my lease comes to a end I feel more and more terrified and frustrated at the idea of moving home especially now. I feel so helpless to avoid moving home.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?

I have felt like this before but I didn't deal with it very well the last time I was here. Then I think I did end up self harming but it didn't help it just left me feeling frustrated and helpless all over again.

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?

So far I have prayed, journaled, talked to other people, tried to distract myself, talked to my doctor and balenced my check book. I have exercised, tried to eat healthy and have purposly done things to try and help myself relax.

How do I feel right now?

Scared, frustrated and helpless.

How will I feel when I am hurting myself?

Sad, angery and in control ( a little bit )

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?

Pained, relieved, more urgy and ashamed.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?

I can't avoid it but I can do the healthy steps I listed above.

Do I need to hurt myself?

I don't know yet for tonight I don't think so.

funkymusic
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by funkymusic » Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 pm

I have felt like this before but I didn't deal with it very well the last time I was here. Then I think I did end up self harming but it didn't help it just left me feeling frustrated and helpless all over again.
It's great that you're able to remember this, right? Can you hold on to that? Why would this time be any different than last time if you SI-ed?