Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

labbaw
building community
building community

Before

Post by labbaw » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:01 am

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself? I think I will feel better, less anxious but I will also feel guilty

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation? Guilt. Anxiety.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way? I want to feel good about myself. No I don't think so.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then? It will only last until the blood stops

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then? I could check out coping and games. It will distract me as long as I keep doing them. Then I could take a shower to self-soothe.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with? I will feel guilty but also I don't know, maybe relief. If I do the other thing, I don't know how I will feel. Still stressed.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I really want to try and not SI. I can try to feel the feelings instead.

More Before Questions To Answer

Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
I need to hurt myself because I feel really anxious. What brought me to this point is my bf took too many pills and scared me and my T left for 3 weeks vacation today.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then? Yes, distracted, self-soothed. I felt better.

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me? I've come on here. I can go to coping and games. I can take a shower. I can cross-stitch or sew.

How do I feel right now? Really scared lonely and anxious

How will I feel when I am hurting myself? I will feel at peace.

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning? Guilty.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future? I've done the best I can so far.

Do I need to hurt myself?
Not at the moment, but maybe later.

This Side of Nowhere