before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

before

Post by strmdncr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:48 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    The situation itself will not change. The feelings around the situations will change for a while as the intensity of the feelings I am currently dealing with will not stay as strong.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    It will bring a change in the direction of my focus from inside emotions that I do not know how to deal with to outside physical feelings that I can deal with and that I can take care of and "fix". It would take away feelings of uncontrolled, undirected emotions. It would also take away a sense of accomplishment if I was to si b/c the number of days since the last incident is a fairly large number.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way? I want to feel like I have done everything possible to change the situation in an effective manner and if unable to change the situation than to accept that I cannot change it and feel like I have alternatives to si'ing that will help me manage times of overwhelming emotions. SI'ing would lead to my being farther from feeling that way.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    The relief will last until the guilt, shame and self-directed anger about having si'd start...anywhere from a couple of hours to a day approximately. Then I will end up getting after myself for giving into the urges, be down on myself and see myself as having failed instead of being able to focus on any positives.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then? I could listen to and follow an online guided relaxation. It will give me something to focus on besides the emotions that are running through me at high speed. I am unsure how long the change will last, it may last only as long as the relaxation "session", it may last after.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    I would feel self directed anger, guilt and fear if I was to si. If I did the other thing I would probably only potentially feel less overwhelmed with the feelings that are "attacking" me currently.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now? I want to cry, I want to tell people what I think of them and their actions and how those actions affect people that I care for or how their actions affect me and what I think of their behaviours. I can best honor the self-protective instinct by trying to allow myself to accept that these are my emotions and work with them rather than fighting against them, or trying to avoid them b/c I do not know how to "fix" them.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    I have shovelled snow, I have gone out with my brother, spoken of my feeling "helpless" to someone, tried self-soothing. I can listen to guided relaxation, do house cleaning, read.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

Silent_Tears
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Silent_Tears » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:38 pm

Sounds like you've really thought through things a lot. I hope you were able to withstand the urges and remain si free. :1hug:

Take care of yourself and keep self soothing. :1soothe:

Love ya,
ST
Silent's Poetry Spot

My Place- Everyone Welcome

My PBH

Fighting everyday to stay SI free. 8 years and counting. It does get easier. I just wish the thoughts would go away completely.