before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

sillabub3
one of us
one of us

before

Post by sillabub3 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:32 am

• how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    I will feel in control, I will feel safer. I will also feel guilty but I think the relief outweighs that, at least in the moment. Tomorrow I will probably feel more guilt.

• what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    Hurting myself will bring a feeling of control. I will not feel so terrified because at least I can control my punishment. It will make me feel safe, like I've paid my dues and can go to sleep. It will take away the overwhelming level of anxiety.

• how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to feel safe. Hurting myself will bring me closer to feeling that way because at least I'll be the one controlling the hurt.

• if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    The relief will hopefully last through the night, allow me to sleep. In the morning I can occupy myself with other things and spend time in the company of people.

• what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I can play a computer game for a while. It would distract me but as soon as I try and go to sleep, I won't have any defenses against the urge. I don't know if I can distract myself all night.

• how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    Tomorrow I will feel guilty and a little angry at myself if I hurt myself tonight. If I distract all night, I will be very tired in the morning, and fearful that the urge will just come back again and I'd have spent a night awake for nothing.

• what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I really want to talk to my roommates and confess my worries to them. I cannot do that because talking to them would bring worse harm than cutting would. Plus, they're asleep. Plus, I have to keep living with them for a while. If I could hold out until Monday, I see my counsellor and can let it out then. But I don't know if I can hold out until Monday.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I want to hurt myself because I feel like I have done wrong and that punishment is coming for me, and the best way to alleviate that fear is to punish myself before something else can.

• Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    In the past, I have always punished myself in this situation. Occasionally I can find a less damaging form of punishment.

• What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    So far I have attempted to distract by staying with people as long as I could, as well as watching a movie, and logging on to BUS to post here. I could also try to keep myself distracted all night with computer games or movies.

• How do I feel right now?
    I feel very anxious. I feel like something is coming for me.

• How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    I will feel absolved, safer, calmer.

• How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    Taking care of the wound after hurting myself will help me to feel calm. Tomorrow morning I will feel guilty and a little sad that I cope this way.

• Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    I cannot avoid the stressors of everyday life, or my fears that I am doing things wrong. I am seeking help in hopes that I will be able to find another way to deal with this.

• Do I need to hurt myself?
    My anxiety is climbing the longer I deny this urge. I feel as though something terrible might happen to me if I don't. I feel as though I do need to hurt myself, but I will continue to distract myself in hopes that I can somehow just fall asleep without it.

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Smeagol » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:49 pm

Can you try to talk yourself out of the feeling of having done wrong? e.g. are you thinking any of the cognitive distortions? (they're in sourcebook at http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17036)

If you're feeling out of control, is there anything you can do which will rbing control to you? Can you make a list of things you do have control over? If you want to punish yourself, can you do it by doing stuff that you hate but need to do, like housework or homework?
Act in such a way as to make yourself feel capable and effective

The change starts now.

If in doubt, don't

LBC
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by LBC » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 pm

How did it go? Were you able to talk to your counselor?

:1paw:
If you believe everyone is the future
If you believe that nothing ever goes wrong
If you believe that deep down inside you're really falling apart
Know that everybody's weak and everyone can be strong. - Sloan

You always have a choice.